Confusing result about the spectrum of compact operators

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem about compact operators and their corresponding eigenvalues. It is proven that if a compact operator has a non-zero eigenvalue, then its range cannot be the entire Banach space it is defined on. The conversation then raises a question about the logic of the proof and discusses how the contrapositive of the theorem implies that there are no eigenvalues that satisfy this condition. However, the argument given is still valid and does not contradict the theorem. Overall, there is a curious phenomenon in which the theorem implies that there are no eigenvalues that satisfy this condition.
AxiomOfChoice
I have been posting on here pretty frequently; please forgive me. I have an exam coming up in functional analysis in a little over a week, and my professor is (conveniently) out of town.

We proved in our class notes that if [itex]T:X\to X[/itex] is a compact operator defined on a Banach space [itex]X[/itex], [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex], and [itex]\lambda \in \sigma_p(T)[/itex] (the point spectrum; i.e., the set of eigenvalues of [itex]T[/itex]), then the range [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = \mathcal R(T-\lambda) \neq X[/itex]. The argument given to support this conclusion is complicated and relies (among other things) on the Riesz lemma, so I won't reproduce it, unless I'm asked to do so.

However, in the very next theorem, we show that if [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]\lambda \in \sigma(T)[/itex], then [itex]\lambda \in \sigma_p(T)[/itex]. The argument is broken down into cases: either [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X[/itex] or [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) \neq X[/itex]. The [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X[/itex] case is presented as follows: If [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex] and [itex]\lambda \in \sigma(T)[/itex] but [itex]\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X[/itex], then [itex](T-\lambda)^{-1} = T_\lambda^{-1}[/itex] cannot exist (otherwise we would have [itex]\lambda \in \rho(T)[/itex]), so we must have [itex]\ker T_\lambda \neq \{ 0 \}[/itex]; hence [itex]\lambda \in \sigma_p(T)[/itex], since we then have [itex]x \neq 0[/itex] that satisfies [itex]T_\lambda x = (T-\lambda)x = 0[/itex].

Here is my question: This argument makes sense, but doesn't the contrapositive of the first theorem I mentioned give [itex](\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X) \Rightarrow (\lambda \notin \sigma_p(T))[/itex] if [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex]? Is there a subtle point in the logic I'm missing, or is the argument given somehow unsound?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice;3447636 Here is my question: This argument makes sense said:
(\mathcal R(T_\lambda) = X) \Rightarrow (\lambda \notin \sigma_p(T))[/itex] if [itex]\lambda \neq 0[/itex]? Is there a subtle point in the logic I'm missing, or is the argument given somehow unsound?

This is true. So together with that "very next theorem" implies that there are no [itex]\lambda\neq 0[/itex] such that [itex]\mathcal{R}(T_\lambda)=X[/itex]. But you do not know that a priori.

So you have here a very curious phenomenon. The theorem implies that all [itex]\lambda\neq 0[/itex] such that [itex]\mathcal{R}(T_\lambda)=X[/itex] will belong to the point spectrum. But this will means that there are no such [itex]\lambda[/itex].

1. What is a compact operator?

A compact operator is a type of linear operator in functional analysis that maps one Banach space to another. It is called "compact" because it maps bounded sets to relatively compact sets, meaning that it can "squeeze" a set into a smaller space.

2. What is the spectrum of a compact operator?

The spectrum of a compact operator is the set of all complex numbers for which the operator minus that number does not have a bounded inverse. It is denoted by σ(T) and is an important concept in the study of compact operators.

3. Why are the results about the spectrum of compact operators confusing?

The results about the spectrum of compact operators can be confusing because they often do not follow the same patterns as those of other types of operators. For example, the spectrum can be non-empty even when the operator is injective, and it can contain eigenvalues even when the operator is not compact.

4. How does the spectrum of a compact operator relate to its eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

The spectrum of a compact operator may contain eigenvalues, which are special values for which the operator maps an element to a scalar multiple of itself. However, not all elements in the spectrum are necessarily eigenvalues, as the spectrum may also contain other types of points such as essential spectra and residual spectra.

5. What are some applications of studying the spectrum of compact operators?

The spectrum of compact operators has many applications in mathematics and physics. For example, it is used in the study of differential equations, quantum mechanics, and functional analysis. It also has practical applications in engineering, such as in signal processing and control systems.