Projectile Motion or Motion in Two dimension

In summary: And in this case, in which it's stated that the ball arrives to the balcony, it's a false assumption.In summary, the problem involves a ball being thrown by Jed and caught by Jelo on a balcony 15m away and 5.0m above the street level. To find the speed and angle at which the ball was thrown, the vertical and horizontal components of the ball's initial velocity must be determined. The vertical component can be found using the equation y(t) = y0 + vy*t - 0.5gt^2, where y(t) is the height of the ball, y0 is the initial height, vy is the vertical velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity
Myung

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown by Jed in the street and caught 2 seconds later by Jelo on the balcony of the house 15m away and 5.0m above the street level. What was the speed of the ball and the angle above the horizontal at which it was thrown?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt for the solution is first get the V(Vertical)

2g(Vertical Max) = Vy^2 - Vyi^2
(Vy at top is 0 so...)
2(-9.8)(5)=-Vyi^2

and i got:
Vyi = 9.9 m/s

Then I want to get my Vxi

Range = Vxi (t)
Vxi = Range / t
Vxi = 15 / 2
Vxi = 7.5 m/s

Vi of the ball = sqrt[(7.5)^2 +(9.9)^2]
Vi = 12.42 m/s

To get angle I used the formula:

Vxi = Vi cos x
x = Cos-1 ( Vxi / Vi )
x = Cos-1 ( 7.5 / 12.42 )
x = 52.85 degrees

Am i doing it right? >.<

Physics news on Phys.org
You got it half right, but not quite.

If You'll be waiting on a balcony for a ball I'd thrown at you, it wouldn't necessarily arrive at velocity 0, as you suggested. The velocity would only be 0 once you stop it with your hand. But that's another force in action which has nothing to do with the problem. In short - the ball's velocity isn't necessarily 0 once it reaches the balcony.

you know that the initial vertical velocity, v_y, holds this equation:

height of the ball = y(t) = y_0 + v_y*t -0.5gt^2 (here g= 9.8)
(I hope you agree!)

Use the given data of the ball's final height (compared with the streets height) and travel time to get v_y.
The rest of your calculation looks good!

Tomer said:
You got it half right, but not quite.

If You'll be waiting on a balcony for a ball I'd thrown at you, it wouldn't necessarily arrive at velocity 0, as you suggested. The velocity would only be 0 once you stop it with your hand. But that's another force in action which has nothing to do with the problem. In short - the ball's velocity isn't necessarily 0 once it reaches the balcony.

you know that the initial vertical velocity, v_y, holds this equation:

height of the ball = y(t) = y_0 + v_y*t -0.5gt^2 (here g= 9.8)
(I hope you agree!)

Use the given data of the ball's final height (compared with the streets height) and travel time to get v_y.
The rest of your calculation looks good!

Uhm, I'm a bit confused.. but in our class we assume that in this kind of problem the ball is always Vy = 0 once it reach the highest.

Myung said:
Uhm, I'm a bit confused.. but in our class we assume that in this kind of problem the ball is always Vy = 0 once it reach the highest.

That's not accurate, and I'll give you two counter examples:

1. Who said that the balcony is the highest point on the trajectory of the ball? Imagine the ball traveling on a "rainbow" path, upwards, and then falls back again (while advancing), until it reaches the hands of the guy on the balcony. It could have gone up to 10 meters high, but then, after arriving it's peak height (and zero velocity), it falls downwards towards the balcony.
Do you understand how in this example the velocity of the ball isn't 0? Nobody said the balcony is the highest point of the ball's path.

2. Imagine a guy standing two meters above you. If you throw a ball with a large initial velocity, you can't expect it to have 0 velocity after 2 meters. However, if the guy above you catches the ball, he will inflict another force on it, which will "accelerate" the ball (with a negative sign) until it stops. That's not what they mean by the question - there's that instant moment in which the ball arrives to the guy's hands with a certain velocity, let's say, 4 m/s. Then the ball stops for other reasons (the force inflicted), but not because the ball reached it's maximum height.

I hope these two examples clarify your confusion. You can't assume the ball reached it's highest "potential" height (that means, where he could reach without other forces acting) unless it's stated in the question.

Yes, your approach and calculations are correct. You have used the correct equations for projectile motion in two dimensions and have solved for the initial velocity and angle of the ball. Your final answer of 52.85 degrees for the angle above the horizontal is also correct. Good job!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

3. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch has a significant impact on the range of a projectile. The range of a projectile is maximum when it is launched at a 45-degree angle. Any other angle will result in a shorter range.

4. What is the difference between projectile motion and motion in two dimensions?

Projectile motion is a specific type of motion in two dimensions where an object is launched or thrown into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. Motion in two dimensions refers to any motion that occurs in two perpendicular directions.

5. How can we calculate the maximum height and range of a projectile?

To calculate the maximum height of a projectile, we can use the formula h = vy^2 / 2g, where vy is the vertical component of the initial velocity and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = vx * t, where vx is the horizontal component of the initial velocity and t is the time of flight.