Battery AH and Deep Cycle type & Charger suitability

In summary, this battery is suitable for a boat bilge pump and is a deep cycle battery. It has a CCA rating of 230.
OldWest
I am using this battery for a boat bilge pump. It's all working as expected, but what I am trying to determine is if my battery is suitable for the charger I have and if so, I need assistance decoding the CHARGING TIME chart (picture below) in my charger manual to determine how long I should charge the battery, what the battery "AH" and Amps rating are and any tips for maintaining the life of the battery are also welcome.

I've included screen shots below of my charger specification and some additional images for visual.

I apologize for my ignorance in this subject.

EverStart U1R-7 Tractor/Mower Battery Details:
-- Lead acid
-- Maintenance-free
-- Model No.: U1R-7
-- Product in Inches (L x W x H):8.25 x 5.8125 x 7.8125

This is an excerpt from my charger manual. I am having a very difficult time determining the "AH" (Apere Hour) of my battery as it is not noted anywhere I can find. And I do not know if it is considered a "Deep Cycle" battery.

[PLAIN]http://w3developing.com/temp/_IMG_20110904_102807.jpg

Here is a pic of my charger up close:
[PLAIN]http://w3developing.com/temp/_IMG_20110904_102624.jpg

Here is a shot of both for visual:
[PLAIN]http://w3developing.com/temp/_IMG_20110904_102544.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I see "275" and "230" on the front of the battery, but I can't read the text next to the numbers. I'd guess that one of them is CCA (cold cranking amps). If so, then I would just use the corresponding time in the manual's chart.

But... The better way is to get an automatic battery charger/maintainer, such as the http://batterytender.com/" .)

Last edited by a moderator:
pantaz, I did not know such a product existed. I was looking at trickle chargers, but the Battery Tender seems to be a safe product to maintain the life of the battery.

At the top of the charge chart, there is a header titled "Charger Output Rating (Amps)". I am not sure how this relates to the hours charged. Is Output Rating related to the battery or the charger? And how would I determine which column is correct for my battery?

I think the answer was directly in front of my face. I see the charger says: 10 Amps DC output. I think that answers my questions. If I am wrong about this, please let me know : )

You have a size U1 battery. There are three different types of batteries all Lead Acid and all in the same case. What is different?

Flooded: [you have this] Based on your description this an ordinary flooded wet lead acid battery. If you poked a hole in the side of the battery, you would get cups of loose liquid sulfuric acid on the floor. This battery is designed to dissipate the heat created during a Starting type discharge, short and vigorous. Not designed to be deep discharged. Note rating is CCA [cold cranking amps] which tells you how much current you can get for a SHORT while.

AGM: Absorbed Glass Mat this is designed to support deep discharges. Not good for starting service as it has too much lead and not enough sulfuric acid to handle the heat of starting. Poke a hole in this one and you get teaspoons of sulfuric acid. The rest is absorbed in the fiberglass sponge between the plates.

GEL: Similar construction to the AGM battery, except the sponges are thinner and the electrolyte contains extras to make it into a jelly. Poke a hole in this one and you get almost no leakage. Costs more than an AGM.

I'm thinking that since 9-4-11, his battery has died. :devil:

You may want to look at the post date before posting. Just sayin'

1. What is the difference between Battery AH and Deep Cycle type?

Battery AH (ampere-hour) refers to the amount of charge that a battery can deliver over a period of time. It is a measure of the battery's capacity. Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged and recharged repeatedly, while still maintaining their capacity. They are commonly used in applications such as renewable energy systems and electric vehicles.

2. What is the importance of Battery AH in selecting a battery?

Battery AH is an important factor to consider when selecting a battery as it determines how long the battery can power a device before needing to be recharged. A higher AH rating means a longer runtime. It is important to choose a battery with the appropriate AH rating for your specific needs to ensure reliable and efficient operation.

3. How does the charger affect the performance of a deep cycle battery?

The charger plays a crucial role in the performance and lifespan of a deep cycle battery. Using the wrong type of charger or overcharging can lead to premature failure of the battery. It is important to select a charger that is specifically designed for deep cycle batteries and to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for charging.

4. Can a deep cycle battery be used with a regular charger?

No, a deep cycle battery should not be charged with a regular charger as it can lead to overcharging and damage to the battery. Regular chargers are designed for shorter charging times and can cause a deep cycle battery to overheat and lose its capacity over time.

5. How do I know if a charger is suitable for my deep cycle battery?

A suitable charger for a deep cycle battery should have a charging profile that is specifically designed for deep cycle batteries. It should also have the appropriate voltage and current ratings for your battery. It is important to consult the battery manufacturer's recommendations and choose a charger that is compatible with your specific battery model.