Time and Atoms: Can they exist without each other

• Thread starter Jesus Freak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms Time
In summary, the conversation revolved around the concept of time and its relation to atoms. The question was raised whether stopping or reversing time would cause atoms to fall apart and potentially end existence. Some participants found the question interesting, while others thought it was not worth considering. The topic of antimatter and its relationship to time was also briefly discussed. Overall, the conversation touched on the complexities of understanding time and its role in the universe.
Jesus Freak
This is a question regarding time and atoms. My question is this: if one were able to stop the occurence of time, or maybe even reverse time, since the atom in forward time is constantly in motion, would the altering of this forward motion cause the atom to fall apart. Would the covalent bonds of certain elements fall apart, thus ending existence? Just a minor, unimportant question, but I would like to here some opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this is totally stupid. If time were going backwards, things, such as chemical reactions would also travel backwards. I think this one needs a little more thought.
This universe is composed of four dimensions.
Width, height, length, time.

Well, this is pretty odd question. However, some cosmologists have actually pondered about this topic! You might want to check the Cosmology forum. Stephen Hawking's 'A Brief History of Time' is good beginners introdcution to these concepts.

as anti-particles such as the positron are supposed to be equivalent to particles of ordinary matter going backwards in time , wouldn't an atom of antimatter be doing just what you suggest , i.e. be considered as traveling in the reverse direction in time .In fact I read somewhere that they have made a small quantity of anti-hydrogen ,so is that the same as ordinary hydrogen traveling in the opposite direction through time?

Last edited:
PhillipF,

Antihydrogen is the antimatter counterpart of hydrogen. Whereas the common hydrogen atom is composed of an electron and proton, the antihydrogen atom is made up of a positron and antiproton. There are real no differences with the reaction of matter/time as apposed to antimatter/time.

hello brickster
thanks for the reply , I admit I am thoroughly confused about this idea of antiparticles and time travel .I came across it when I read J .Gribbins book 'In Search of Schrodinger's Cat'
On p187 he says "The dramatic discovery Feynman made in 1949 is that the space-time description of a positron moving forward through time is exactly equivalent to the same mathematical description of an electron moving backward in time along the same track in the Feynman diagram '

So I suppose the question really should be 'Is this 'track' just a mathematical description or does it describe an actual particle going backwards through time ?'

1. What is the relationship between time and atoms?

The relationship between time and atoms is complex and still not fully understood. On a basic level, time can be seen as a measurement of the change and movement of atoms. Atoms make up all matter in the universe and their interactions and movements are what create the concept of time.

2. Can time exist without atoms?

It is believed that time cannot exist without atoms. As mentioned before, time is directly tied to the movement and interactions of atoms. Without atoms, there would be no change or movement to measure, and therefore no concept of time.

3. Can atoms exist without time?

This question is a bit more complicated. Atoms are constantly in motion, so in a sense, they are always experiencing time. However, some theories suggest that time may be an emergent property of quantum mechanics and not a fundamental aspect of the universe. In this case, atoms would exist without time, but their movements would still create the illusion of time.

4. How does time affect atoms on a quantum level?

On a quantum level, time has a significant impact on atoms. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely we measure the position of an atom, the less precise our measurement of its momentum becomes. This means that as we try to observe and measure the movement of atoms, time becomes a more uncertain factor.

5. Can time and atoms be separated?

It is currently believed that time and atoms cannot be separated. As mentioned before, time is a measurement of the movements of atoms, so without atoms, there would be no time. Similarly, time is a fundamental aspect of the universe, so it would not be possible to remove it from the equation and still have atoms exist.