Maxwell 3D: Magnetic Torque Analysis and Tutorials

In summary, Jason is trying to import a 3D model into Maxwell. He needs to save the file as a .sat file, import it into the 3D Modeler, and assign properties to the objects.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I have Maxwell 3D on my computer and I want to use it to do some 3D magnetic torqure analysis on some magnet designs that I am working on. I have created a model that I would like to simulate in AutoCAD and I want to transfer it to Maxewell to do the analysis. But I am not sure how to use the software and I was wondering if anyone here knows how to work with it. If not, does anyone know of any good tutorial sites for it?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
I tested Maxwell a few years ago and had similar problems, did not really get too far with it -- you probably have found these :

http://summer.nchc.org.tw/~ansoft/Maxwell3D.pdf
http://wwwce.web.cern.ch/wwwce/ae/Maxwell/Maxwell.html

but if someone has any better ones (would not be a surprise) I'd be interested as well ! If Maxwell has an import/export menu (under file typically) you can likely find a compatible format both software support from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
i recently picked up maxwell 3d. and also have a model in autocad 2004 (originally modeled in 3dsmax 7) that i'd like to analyze and see field lines for. have u figured out how to do this yet? maxwell comes with a built in translation program, but it won't let you go from autocad to maxwell 3d, just 2d, so when you import it into maxwell 3d its flattened out.

i recently picked up maxwell 3d. and also have a model in autocad 2004 (originally modeled in 3dsmax 7) that i'd like to analyze and see field lines for. have u figured out how to do this yet? maxwell comes with a built in translation program, but it won't let you go from autocad to maxwell 3d, just 2d, so when you import it into maxwell 3d its flattened out.

I'm still pretty much stuck in same gear ... got interested about it again and should reinstall Maxwell3D to see whether could get ahead with it. Wonder whether some other software / model format could be used as an intermediary to make the transition possible ... got to list what both ends support and see if can find something.

I've done some electromagnetic modeling on ANSYS 8.0 where you can import objects from ProE.

I think someone in our group may be using Maxwell. I'll ask around.

infamous_Q said:

Hi, I did figure out how to get the CAD 3D Models into Maxwell, you just have to highlight everything in the drawing and use the export command to save it as a n ACIS file (*.sat) which Maxwell's drawing program can import. Then from there you can do the simulations.

As it turns out, I did figure out how to do some simple simulations but does anyone know anything about setting up macros to run the simulations automatically?? I read on their site that it is possible but I'm not sure where to go or what to do.

Thanks,
Jason O

Last edited:
thanks loads :)

Hi, I am trying to import a 3D model into Maxwell. Have you tried to do this. If so, how exactly did you do that. Do I go to Draw and file/import. My model consists of many regions having different electrical(material) properties. How can I assign different material properties to these different regions although my model was generated outside of Maxwell (A stack of MRI images were used to reconstruct a 3D head model, it was saved in a DXF format). Any help is appreciated

Noha

nhassan said:
Hi, I am trying to import a 3D model into Maxwell. Have you tried to do this. If so, how exactly did you do that. Do I go to Draw and file/import. My model consists of many regions having different electrical(material) properties. How can I assign different material properties to these different regions although my model was generated outside of Maxwell (A stack of MRI images were used to reconstruct a 3D head model, it was saved in a DXF format). Any help is appreciated
Noha

Well, first you need to resave the file as a .sat (ACIS) file, to import into Maxwell, then create a new project and inside the 3D Modeler, select File/Import/3D Modeler-ACIS file in the menu. If you have it saved as the right version it should load fine. Then save the model and goto the Setup Materials button to assign the properties for all the objects.

God Bless,
Jason O

Transient sover in Maxwell 3D

Hi all,
I have been using the magnetostatic solver in Maxwell 3D to solve for the conduction induced by a voltage source. The solver gives the electric potential distribution within the ohmic conduction medium.
I want to expand this and instead of a static source have a time-varying voltage source. As far as I have understood, I have to use the transient solver of Maxwell 3D and define a stranded voltage source as a coil terminal. Is this correct? Furthermore, the solver solves only for the current density J and not for the electric potential. Does anybody know how I can get such a solution from the transient solver in Maxwell 3D (i.e. the distribution of the electric potential in a volume conducting medium generated by a time-varying source)?

Thank you in advance,
Stamatis

Hi All,

I´ve been trying Maxwell 3d V11 for a while, and got stuck into a rather unusual difficulty.
If one model a permanent magnet and try to move or rotate the geometry, the poles orientation won´t follow the transformation. The poles look like to be referenced to the active CS where the geometry was created. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem ?

Dear Sir,
I am a somewhat old learner of ansoft maxwell. But the latest version 12 any tutorial is available online, please tell me

Hi all,
I am using Maxwell 3d v12 for simulating permanent magnet generator. The magnets are magnetized through thickness. I can't define it to Maxwell. How can i define the magnetization direction?

Thank you in adavnce
sanjida

someone has been able to work with winding editor maxwell 3d

Hello,

It seems most people here are talking about the magneto-static solver has anybody used the eddy current solver? I am having a hard time understanding how to set excitations? I am trying to model an alternating magnetic field in a solenoid coil. I have simply included the coil and tried to set the a current density through it. It seems it cannot accept the coil by itself but need current density terminals. Is it possible to set an AC voltage source for the coil without specifying a current density functions?

Thank you.

Anybody?

Let me rephrase my question as I realize it was probably vague and that what I was asking about was not what I really wanted. I am trying to set up a current through a coil in the eddy current solver. I have tried assigning a current to the faces of the ends of the coil but it appears the solver assumes the excitation is only at the ends. (i.e. the ends do not seem to be on the conduction path. How do I get the software to realize current is flowing into the coil?

Thank you very much.

PS If this is still vague please let me know
PPS If I have not been getting replies because this is not in the proper thread please let me know as I am new.

Jedi1234,

Are you still looking for help with this?

-Pat

No I figured it out, thanks!

Hi there,

When setting up a transient solver problem in Maxwell 3D, the following error occurred when running the simulation:

Could not find the half_face for a mapping vertex

Does anyone know what this means? When I use the magnetostatic solver the simulation runs fine.

Thank you in advance for answering!

Greetings Arno

Hello anyone can help me to find tutoriles about electromagnetic generator using ansys or ansoft software .. thanks

Hello Noha,
I use Solid Works to draw every element of my model, and after that I make assembly of these elements. When assembly is ready, I save it like ".step'' and inport in Maxwell 3D. In this case I can define different material for every one element ot assembly.

Is there an easy way to import a spreadsheet of data points into Maxwell 3D?

hello frens,
I am trying to design a double layered concentrated winding switched reluctance motor in maxwell 3d. Can anyone who is acquainted with this topic please tell me how to give the double layered coil in maxwell, because i am not being able to find the option to give double layer. Or is it possible to draw such coils in maxwell itself?? If yes, then what type of coils can be drawn, helix or spiral? thank you.

regards
Firdausa

Boundary Conditions in 3D

Hello,
We are trying to model magnetic field of a permanent magnet(AlNiCo5) in 3D. We have drawn a cylinder and assigned the material to it. We have constructed the background region around it. The main problem is that we don't know which boundary conditions to give.

Please help us.
Thank you

Hello

Please, use Maxwell Help (press F1). All information ccan be found there - search for "Assigning boundaries and excitations for 3D designs" in the index.

In most cases, there is no need to setup boundaries in Maxwell as program assumes boundary setup automatically.

Thank you for your reply.
I went through the help. It says we must assign atleast one source of excitation. The cylinder is assigned the material AlNiCo5 which is a permanent magnet, so it takes care of that. Now even if I don't assign the boundary, it still validates the setup. But when I analyse it, it give the following error:
Solenoid3D (C:/Documents and Settings/FABLAB/My Documents/Ansoft/)
Maxwell3DDesign1 (Magnetostatic)

[error] Process 'hnl3d' terminated abnormally. It may have run out of memory or could have been killed by the user. (3:19:06 PM Jul 09, 2013)
[error] Simulation completed with execution error on server: Local Machine. (3:19:07 PM Jul 09, 2013)

I have tried playing with different boundary conditions, just in case it might work, but it always gives the same error.
I have attached the goemetry for your reference.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Attachments

• magnet.bmp
    164.3 KB · Views: 942
Well.. that's definitely not boundary sourced error.
To make it working:

1. Draw your cylinder (magnet).
2. Assign material to it.
3. Draw "region" around magnet (draw\region), and select region slightly larger than object (+50% ?).
4. Add solution setup (default is good enough).
5. Run analysis

There is no need to add boundaries as they are added by default. The same with mesh - it's addaptive in static solvers (can be changed if needed).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you for the reply.
I followed the exact procedure you said but it still gives the same error.
But because of your reply, atleast I came to know that the error is not because of the boundary condition. Now I know what not to look for.

Exact completing procedure I posted above in new project will result in running analysis. Tested.
Other explanation ? Your Maxwell isn't running properly (problems with license mayby?).
Please try to run some examples (they are stored in: C:\Program Files\AnsysEM\Maxwell16.0\Win64\Examples\ <<-- this is for Maxwell v16, if they are not there search for them, they are definitely somewhere).
Try to run some of the examples, if they won't go.. then I cannot help.

In ansoft maxwell 3d i have done the design and while doing the validation check i got tick mark for all. but while giving analyze all am getting a window showing close the program 3deddy has stopped working..what may be the reason? please help me.

Does this happends for every simulation you start ? If yes - you have computer/software problem. If maxwell crashes only for particular simulations - the deisgn may not correct.

Can Maxwell give CAD data files to develop a prototype. As I see export options available there for dxf,igs etc.

1. What is Maxwell 3D and what does it do?

Maxwell 3D is a software program that allows scientists and engineers to analyze and simulate magnetic torque in three-dimensional models. It uses finite element analysis to calculate the magnetic forces and torques acting on a system.

2. How does Maxwell 3D help in magnetic torque analysis?

Maxwell 3D provides a user-friendly interface to input and modify various parameters such as material properties, geometry, and boundary conditions. It then performs calculations and generates visualizations to help understand the magnetic torque behavior in the system.

3. Can Maxwell 3D be used for different types of materials?

Yes, Maxwell 3D has a comprehensive material library that includes various magnetic and non-magnetic materials. Users can also input their own material properties for custom materials.

4. Are there any tutorials available for Maxwell 3D?

Yes, there are tutorials and user guides available on the software's official website. These tutorials cover various topics such as setting up simulations, interpreting results, and advanced features of the software.

5. What industries typically use Maxwell 3D for magnetic torque analysis?

Maxwell 3D is commonly used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and electronics for designing and optimizing systems that involve magnetic torque. It is also used in research and development for studying the behavior of magnetic materials.