Help choosing Nuclear Engineering Classes?

In summary, the speaker has a B.S. in Physics and is currently working as an electrical engineer while pursuing an M.S. in Nuclear Engineering. They are seeking recommendations for classes that would be beneficial for employment in the nuclear industry. The speaker has already taken Fundamentals of NucE and Nuclear and RadioChemistry, and the responder suggests taking classes that interest them and doing well in them to demonstrate knowledge to potential employers. They also suggest specific classes, including Nuc E 511, Nuc E 521, Nuc E 502, ME 461, and ME 442, for those interested in working in nuclear power generation.
StudioSaturn
Hey I was hoping some of the established engineers on here could help me out. I have my B.S. in Physics, I work as an electrical engineer, and I'm starting my second semester for my M.S. in Nuclear Engineering. I am not currently employed in the nuclear field but I'm looking to move into it in the next year. Which classes would you guys recommend I take that would be most likely to help me in terms of employment in the NucE industry? Here's a link to my Spring 2012 options, thanks for the input!

http://www.engr.psu.edu/cde/nuce/index.html

So far I've taken Fundamentals of NucE and Nuclear and RadioChemistry

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless you have a specific position in mind I don't think individual classes have a significant bearing on employment opportunities. Take the classes that interest you the most and do well in them so that you can demonstrate your knowledge to a prospective employer. Generally, university classes are pretty far removed from real-world applications and won't really improve your ability you to jump right into an actual job.

Cool thanks Quantum, good advice, I figured that was probably going to be the case. I'm hoping to find employment soon so I can tailor my classes toward an actual career.

You want to work in nuclear power generation I assume?

If so, look into Nuc E 511, Nuc E 521, Nuc E 502, ME 461, and ME 442.

As a scientist in the field of nuclear engineering, I would recommend taking classes that focus on nuclear reactor design and operation, as well as radiation detection and shielding. These are the core areas of expertise that are highly sought after in the nuclear industry. Some specific classes that may be beneficial include Nuclear Reactor Theory, Nuclear Fuel Cycle, Radiation Protection and Shielding, and Nuclear Instrumentation and Control. Additionally, it may be helpful to take classes that cover current industry trends and technologies, such as advanced nuclear reactor designs or nuclear waste management. I also recommend networking with professionals in the nuclear industry to gain insight into specific skills and knowledge that are in demand. Good luck in your studies and future career in nuclear engineering!

1. What are the core courses required for a degree in Nuclear Engineering?

The core courses for a degree in Nuclear Engineering typically include reactor design, nuclear materials, radiation detection and measurement, nuclear physics, and nuclear power systems. However, specific course requirements may vary depending on the university or program.

2. Are there any recommended electives for students interested in pursuing a career in Nuclear Engineering?

While elective courses may vary, some recommended options for students interested in Nuclear Engineering include thermal hydraulics, nuclear waste management, nuclear safety, and nuclear fuel cycles. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine which electives align with your career goals.

3. How important is a background in math and physics for studying Nuclear Engineering?

A strong foundation in math and physics is crucial for success in Nuclear Engineering. Many courses in this field heavily rely on mathematical and physical concepts, so it is important to have a solid understanding of these subjects before enrolling in advanced Nuclear Engineering courses.

4. Can I take online courses for my degree in Nuclear Engineering?

While some universities may offer online courses for core or elective classes in Nuclear Engineering, most programs require students to complete hands-on laboratory work and experiments. Therefore, it is unlikely that an entire degree in Nuclear Engineering can be completed solely online.

5. How can I determine which Nuclear Engineering classes are right for me?

To determine which classes are right for you, consider your career goals and interests within the field of Nuclear Engineering. You may also consult with an academic advisor or reach out to professionals in the industry for advice on which courses may be most beneficial for your specific career path.