Current Sources in Parallel when Simplifying Circuits

In summary: Kirchoff's equation on that. That will give the equivalent circuit.Unfortunately, I don't have the file attached with my answer. I'll try to find a picture that shows the equivalent circuit more clearly.In summary, when simplifying a circuit, you can combine a parallel branch with a current source and a resistor in series if the resistance is ignored.
engineer_ja
When simplifying a circuit, can a parallel branch with a current source and a resistor in series be considered as just the current source?

Also, if two parallel current sources 'point upwards' i.e. toward the positive rail, can I add them together as one source even if there are other branches in between them?

Thanks everyone!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you can ignore the resistance - yes.
Yes add them together even if other branches are present.

Yes, of course. They will both end up with the same voltage across them, each one supplying the current it's been set to deliver. (There are practical limits to that statement, of course - but only along the same lines as connecting Voltage sources in series).

Thanks!

How do I know if I can ignore the resistance?

The question I am trying to do asks for the current in a particular wire of the circuit. Looking at my answer, It seems that i cannot combine things in parallel if they are on opposite sides of this wire. is that correct?

If resistance is very small (close to zero ohm) ignore it like a short circuit.

You should be specific about what kind of branch you want to combine.

An ideal current source doesn't care about series resistance but in a 'real' circuit, you would need to know the details of actual resistances involved.
Post a diagram to give us a better idea.

Hi, I've attached the circuit picture. To find current in xx I convert the 2 voltages to norton equivalents. Can I then combine the 2A with the left hand current source, ignoring its 5 ohm series resistance??

I then think that I cannot combine the left hand and right hand norton equivalents into one, as I 'lose' the link xx??

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 15.42.30.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 15.42.30.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 922
Convert the voltage sources to Norton. Then combine everything except the current source branch to one current source and one parallel resistance. Then convert it back to Thevenin. Then the analysis is easy. Dont ignore the resistance.

That 2A stays as 2A - no worries there. Just do Kirchoff on the circuit and you should get the right answer. You have currents at x adding to give zero (K1) and you have three loops that you can do K2 on. I think that's enough for a solution with four equations and four unknowns.
@KS that's another approach. I don't see why mine shouldn't work too- not as clever as yours though.

Thanks Guys,

@SC, that approach worked for me when I tried, but the answers gave this as an equivalent circuit, and I can't work out how they got there...!

sorry file didn't attach!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 16.21.35.png
    Screen Shot 2012-01-17 at 16.21.35.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 734
It seems to me that the solution should look like this

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 816

1. What are current sources in parallel?

Current sources in parallel are electrical components that are connected in a circuit in such a way that the current flowing through them is divided among the components. This means that the total current entering the parallel circuit is split into smaller currents that flow through each component.

2. Why is it important to simplify circuits by using current sources in parallel?

Simplifying circuits by using current sources in parallel can help reduce the complexity and size of the circuit, making it easier to analyze and troubleshoot. It can also improve the overall efficiency of the circuit by reducing the amount of power loss and increasing the stability of the current flow.

3. How do I calculate the total current in a circuit with current sources in parallel?

To calculate the total current in a parallel circuit, you need to use the concept of Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), which states that the total current entering a node or junction in a circuit must be equal to the total current leaving that node. This means that the total current in a parallel circuit is equal to the sum of the individual currents flowing through each component.

4. Can current sources in parallel be replaced with a single equivalent current source?

Yes, current sources in parallel can be replaced with a single equivalent current source. This is known as the current division rule, which states that when two or more current sources are connected in parallel, the equivalent current source is equal to the sum of the individual currents.

5. Are there any limitations to using current sources in parallel when simplifying circuits?

While current sources in parallel can be useful in simplifying circuits, they are not always the best option. One limitation is that they can only be used for DC circuits and not for AC circuits. Additionally, using too many parallel current sources can lead to excessive power loss and decreased circuit stability, so it is important to use them carefully and in moderation.