Heat Transfer Through SS Corrugated Tubing

So by knowing the surface area of the corrugated tubing, you can use those tables and calculators to get an approximate value for the heat exchange. In summary, the person is looking for technical data on using flexible stainless steel corrugated tubing as a heat exchanger in a tank. They have contacted the manufacturer but have not received a response. They are wondering if there is a way to calculate or find data on the heat exchange using this type of piping. One suggestion is to use the surface area as the dominant property and use tables and calculators for smooth tubing to get an approximate value for the heat exchange.
greatbigsea26
I am looking to utilize flexible stainless steel corrugated tubing similar to this:

http://www.pipesystems.com/site/index.cfm?id_art=24995&vsprache=EN

as a heat exchanger immersed in a tank but have been having a tough time locating technical data on it other than the "surface area" and of course the conductivity coefficient of steel. Do any of you know any way I could find out anything about the heat exchange this type of piping? I contacted the manufacturer in the above link but have yet to receive a response. Does there exist some type of calculation or data sheet I could use?

Thank you for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know how accurate you need to be. As a first guess, I would say that surface area is the dominant property. Therefore, if one meter of corrugated tubing has twice the surface area as one meter of smooth tubing, I would say that it is equivalent to two meters of smooth tubing for heat exchanger purposes.

You can find tables and calculators for smooth tubing.

1. What is SS corrugated tubing?

SS corrugated tubing refers to stainless steel tubing that is designed with a corrugated or ridged outer surface. This design helps to increase the tubing's surface area, allowing for efficient heat transfer.

2. How does heat transfer occur through SS corrugated tubing?

Heat transfer through SS corrugated tubing occurs through conduction. This means that heat energy is transferred from one molecule to another within the tubing, with the molecules closest to the heat source becoming warmer and transferring the heat to the molecules around them.

3. What are the advantages of using SS corrugated tubing for heat transfer?

SS corrugated tubing offers several advantages for heat transfer, including high thermal conductivity, corrosion resistance, and durability. The corrugated design also allows for a larger surface area, resulting in more efficient heat transfer compared to smooth tubing.

4. What factors can affect heat transfer through SS corrugated tubing?

The rate of heat transfer through SS corrugated tubing can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the heat source and heat sink, the thickness and material of the tubing, and the flow rate of the fluid being transferred.

5. What applications commonly use SS corrugated tubing for heat transfer?

SS corrugated tubing is commonly used in industries such as chemical processing, oil and gas, and food and beverage production. It is also used in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, and in various mechanical and thermal processes that require efficient heat transfer.