Forces on a constrained party balloon

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of estimating the forces between a party balloon and a straw when the balloon is inflated and constrained by a rigid wall. The suggested method involves finding the PSI and the area of the bonded contact surface, and then dividing the PSI by the area to get the force in pounds.
BuddyJim
Hi, A party balloon is glued onto an straw. The user inflates the balloon by blowing through the straw. However, the balloon is constrained due the presence of a rigid wall just beyond it (causing the balloon to expand upwards or backwards towards the person inflating it!). I would like to know if it is possible to estimate the forces between the balloon and the straw (at the point of gluing).

Strange question, I know.

Attachments

• constrained party balloon.PNG
    constrained party balloon.PNG
    6.7 KB · Views: 506
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd start by knowing the PSI. then I would find the area of the bonded contact surface in square inches.

Then I would divide PSI by square inches to get pounds. That number in pounds would be the force.

Just a guess.

1. How does a party balloon stay inflated?

A party balloon stays inflated due to the forces of air pressure inside the balloon pushing against the elastic material of the balloon. This creates a balanced force that keeps the balloon from collapsing.

2. What forces act on a constrained party balloon?

The forces that act on a constrained party balloon include the internal air pressure pushing against the elastic material of the balloon, the weight of the balloon itself, and any external forces such as the string or hand holding onto the balloon.

3. How does the size of a party balloon affect the forces acting on it?

The size of a party balloon affects the amount of air pressure inside the balloon, which in turn affects the amount of force pushing against the elastic material. Therefore, a larger balloon will experience greater forces compared to a smaller balloon.

4. What happens to the forces on a party balloon when it is released?

When a party balloon is released, the forces acting on it change. The air pressure inside the balloon is no longer constrained by the elastic material, causing it to rapidly escape and the balloon to deflate. The weight of the balloon and any external forces remain constant.

5. How does the shape of a party balloon affect the forces acting on it?

The shape of a party balloon can affect the distribution of forces acting on it. For example, a spherical balloon will have equal forces acting on all sides, while a long, cylindrical balloon will experience greater forces at the ends compared to the middle. This can also impact the stability and movement of the balloon in different environments.