Integration result ln || - confusing and apparent contradictions

In summary, the integral of sec x is ln|sec x + tan x| + c, where the modulus sign is used to account for the possibility of negative values and ensure that the real logarithm is defined. This can be seen through differentiating and integrating a general reciprocal function. However, when the cosine function is negative, the expression sec x + tan x is also negative and the real logarithm is not defined. To address this, the absolute value is used in the integral of 1/x, making it even and allowing for a more general solution to the problem of integrating sec x.
spaghetti3451
The integral of sec x is ln|sec x + tan x| + c. That's what the internet is telling me.

Now, I am having trouble understanding the modulus sign. I understand that the ln operator gives real numbers for positive values of the argument and complex numbers for negative values of the argument. So, if the ln operator is defined for negative values, why incorporate the modulus sign?

Also, I differentiated ln |sec x + tan x| + c and I get |sec x|. Doesn't that mean that the integral of sec x is only defined for positive values of sec x? But that contradicts common sense when we have a look at the graph of sec x (google 'graph sec x' for a display of the graph). It's clear the function does have an integral for negative values of sec x, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Real integrals can't take complex values, to be precise.
Differentiating the expression you gave, we get this: We apply the chain rule once to get the derivative is
[tex]\frac{1}{\sec x + \tan x}\frac{d}{dx}|\sec x + \tan x|[/tex]
Now, we apply the chain rule once more. The derivative of the absolute value function is the signum function, defined everywhere but at 0. Hence this yields [itex]\mathrm{sgn}(\sec x + \tan x)\sec(x)[/itex] as the derivative. Now, the expression inside the signum function is positive or zero because of this trigonometric simplification:

[tex]\sec x + \tan x = \frac{1+\sin x}{\cos x} = \frac{1+\sin x}{\sqrt{1-\sin^2 x}} \geq 1+\sin x \geq 0[/tex]

Hence we are allowed to discard the signum function (for it will be 1) and rewrite the derivative as [itex]\sec(x)[/itex].

I am curious how you obtained the result you did. To obtain a more general answer, try differentiating and integrating a general reciprocal.

Millennial said:
Real integrals can't take complex values, to be precise.
Differentiating the expression you gave, we get this: We apply the chain rule once to get the derivative is
[tex]\frac{1}{\sec x + \tan x}\frac{d}{dx}|\sec x + \tan x|[/tex]
Now, we apply the chain rule once more. The derivative of the absolute value function is the signum function, defined everywhere but at 0. Hence this yields [itex]\mathrm{sgn}(\sec x + \tan x)\sec(x)[/itex] as the derivative. Now, the expression inside the signum function is positive or zero because of this trigonometric simplification:

[tex]\sec x + \tan x = \frac{1+\sin x}{\cos x} = \frac{1+\sin x}{\sqrt{1-\sin^2 x}} \geq 1+\sin x \geq 0[/tex]

Hence we are allowed to discard the signum function (for it will be 1) and rewrite the derivative as [itex]\sec(x)[/itex].

I am curious how you obtained the result you did. To obtain a more general answer, try differentiating and integrating a general reciprocal.

One problem. [itex]\cos x = \sqrt{1-\sin^2 x}[/itex] is only true when [itex]\cos x[/itex] is positive.

I'd like to remind you that if cos x is negative, due to the identity [itex]|\sec x|\geq |\tan x|[/itex], the expression [itex]\sec x + \tan x[/itex] is negative or zero: values where the real logarithm is not defined.

How about going back to ∫1/x dx = ln|x| + C?
My calc textbook said that since 1/x is odd, ∫1/x dx is even, so you can take the antiderivative to be ln|x| + C with absolute values to make it even. Then you can apply it to the problem with ∫secx dx.

1. What is the integration result of ln ||?

The integration result of ln || is undefined. This is because the natural logarithm function, ln(x), is not defined for negative numbers and the absolute value notation, ||, indicates a negative input.

2. Why is the integration result of ln || confusing?

The integration result of ln || is confusing because it seems contradictory. The natural logarithm function is typically defined for positive numbers, yet the absolute value notation suggests a negative input. This can lead to confusion and apparent contradictions.

3. Is there a way to find the integration result of ln ||?

No, there is not a way to find the integration result of ln || as it is undefined. However, in some cases, the absolute value notation may be used to represent a complex number, in which case the integration result may be defined.

4. Can the integration result of ln || be simplified?

No, the integration result of ln || cannot be simplified. As it is undefined, there is no way to simplify it further.

5. Are there any real-life applications of ln ||?

While the integration result of ln || may be undefined, the natural logarithm function is commonly used in many fields of science, such as physics, biology, and finance. It is often used to model exponential growth and decay, as well as to solve differential equations and perform statistical analysis.