Approaching Geometry Problems with Confidence and Strategic Thinking

In summary, the conversation is about a geometry problem involving chords in a circle and the midpoint of a minor arc. The problem is to prove that AE is equal to EB plus BC when DE is perpendicular to AB. The person asking for help has tried different approaches but has not been successful. However, they eventually solved the problem by making an extension outside of the circle.
bold
This is the last problem on a geometry problem set that I can't seem to finish.

AB and BC are chords in a circle where AB > BC. D is the midpoint of minor arc ADBC. If DE is perpendicular to AB, prove that AE = EB + BC.

I would really appreciate just the proper way to approach this question instead of a solution. I've tried joining CD and AC and using similar triangles but to no avail. I've also tried applying sine law on triangles ADE and DBC, no dice either.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had to make an extension outside of the circle, but I got it!

well done son, solving your own question is like super medicine .

What is Circle Plane Geometry?

Circle Plane Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of circles and their properties in a two-dimensional plane.

What are some basic concepts in Circle Plane Geometry?

Some basic concepts in Circle Plane Geometry include the circumference, diameter, radius, and central angle of a circle.

How are circles and triangles related in Circle Plane Geometry?

In Circle Plane Geometry, circles and triangles are related through various theorems such as the inscribed angle theorem and the intersecting chords theorem.

What are the applications of Circle Plane Geometry?

Circle Plane Geometry has various applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used to solve problems involving circles and their properties.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in Circle Plane Geometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Circle Plane Geometry include not understanding the difference between the circumference and diameter of a circle, mixing up the formulas for area and circumference, and not using the correct units when solving problems.