Are You Ready to Experience the Timeless Sounds of Pink Floyd's 'Echoes'?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: i still am though. animals is my favorite, followed by meddle, then dark side of the moon, then pink floyd. more is a great soundtrack, and division bell had some pretty good songs too.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Check out Pink Floyd's Website -

Echoes

Physics news on Phys.org
The shifting non-linear design fits them well.

Pink Floyd has always been a pioneer. I think they were first to use sound effects (other than instrumentation, like narratives, cash registers, etc.), and their staging and live performances were phenomenal. As for greatest hits compilations, for some groups I prefer to collect entire releases--Pink Floyd has been one of these groups. :biggrin:

Check out the song by Pink Floyd, also called "Echoes," on their album Meddle. This trip lasted the entire flip side.

You have to explain why you're mad. :rofl: :zzz: :!) :uhh: :rofl: :zzz: :!) :uhh: :rofl: :zzz: :!) :uhh: :rofl: :zzz: :!) :uhh: :rofl: :zzz: :!) :uhh: :rofl:

Loren Booda said:
Check out the song by Pink Floyd, also called "Echoes," on their album Meddle. This trip lasted the entire flip side.

Yes! Someone who knows his Pink Floyd!

Fortunately, the Echoes (the song) is available for listening, in its entirety, at the website Astronuc linked to. I hereby strongly urge all casual Pink Floyd fans who haven't heard this song yet to dim the lights, eliminate any noise pollution, go to the website and start up Echoes, and then lie down on a couch, close eyes, and enjoy the ride (about 23 minutes). More adventurous fans are strongly advised to try out the Echoes/2001: A Space Odyssey synchronization, as described here, for possibly the most fantastic audiovisual experience yet known to man.

Pink Floyds stage performances are definately to be commended. Today's pop crap bands don't do just on stage. I miss the old days. (not that I was even alive in the old days, let alone old enough to appreciate it. but my opinion still counts right!?)

Beautiful sun filled day here, so while I was out doing some garden prep...I kicked up the Pink Floyd! Even the little critters stopped to listen.

hypatia said:
Even the little critters stopped to listen.
Got the grandkids again? :biggrin:

I think she's talking about the several species of small, furry animals that she keeps in her cave.

Gokul43201 said:
I think she's talking about the several species of small, furry animals that she keeps in her cave.
Could be, but not several species. The only small, furry animals in her neighbourhood are rats and stray cats. (She killed off all of the squirrels with that plunger of hers.)

wow I had to think for a second, but the critters in the cave are the hairless, blind kind. And the dog now keeps the rats and street cats away!
And yes Danger the grand-kids were here, they fell blissfully asleep on a blanket to the sounds of Floyd. Life don't get much sweeter then that. o:)

Smurf said:
Pink Floyds stage performances are definately to be commended. Today's pop crap bands don't do just on stage. I miss the old days. (not that I was even alive in the old days, let alone old enough to appreciate it. but my opinion still counts right!?)

I was fortunate to witness one show of theirs in Vancouver BC in 1994. At one time, I was a HUGE Floyd fan. Still am of course. Animals is my most favorite, Meddle is definitely a superb work, haven't heard it in awhile (I used to have it on tape, but since my progression to CD's, haven't bought in yet). One work that very few acknowledge of Floyd is the soundtrack "More". I highly recommend it to those who like pre-Dark Side. Waters and Gilmore made such a balanced team, yet they had a bad falling out. Once they both went solo, their work just sucked (my opinion of course :biggrin: ). Floyd in the 90's was sort of cheesy, although Division Bell had some okay songs.

Kerrie said:
I was fortunate to witness one show of theirs in Vancouver BC in 1994. At one time, I was a HUGE Floyd fan. Still am of course. Animals is my most favorite, Meddle is definitely a superb work, haven't heard it in awhile (I used to have it on tape, but since my progression to CD's, haven't bought in yet). One work that very few acknowledge of Floyd is the soundtrack "More". I highly recommend it to those who like pre-Dark Side. Waters and Gilmore made such a balanced team, yet they had a bad falling out. Once they both went solo, their work just sucked (my opinion of course :biggrin: ). Floyd in the 90's was sort of cheesy, although Division Bell had some okay songs.

i was also a huge pink floyd fan & also went to the june 26 1994 concert @ bc place. :biggrin: there was a time when that was all i listened to. I've branched out since then but i still give their stuff a spin from time to time. I've got more & obscured by clouds somewhere but i don't think I've really listened to either of those soundtracks yet. it's hard for me to decide on the best pre-dsotm album; atom heart mother, meddle & piper @ the gates of dawn are all really good in their own ways. the best album is of course dsotm. cliched answer of course but everything just fits together so perfectly. & then of course 2nd best is the wall (which i can kind of relate to). re: post-waters-leaving there has been some good stuff like learning to fly, and marooned. most of a momentary lapse of reason sucked, but the division bell was much better, especially marooned & coming back to life. i think i think much more highly of waters' solo stuff than you do, it's really good, especially amused to death. it seems like people like pink floyd because they experimented a lot & used all kinds of effects, etc but never seem to mention the lyrics. waters must be the most underrated lyricist there ever was. check this site out:
http://home.mchsi.com/%7Ettint/Intro.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the story between "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wizard of Oz"?

if you put on dark side of the moon at the same time the lion roars just before the wizard of oz starts, the music will coincide perfectly with what's happening on screen. i think when the house is in the tornado on the run is playing, when dorothy steps out into oz for the first time you hear the cash registers at the beginning of money, etc etc.

fourier jr said:
but the division bell was much better, especially marooned & coming back to life.
Coming Back to Life started okay, though it felt like Gilmour was trying a little too hard to be Waters - the first mistake. Then, in the middle, the song just morphed into some kind of vanilla pop track. That really killed it for me...just when it was starting to show promise.

That said, I'd definitely pick a Gilmour concert over a Waters concert, if I ever had to make such a decision. I was at a Waters concert in 2000, and it was okay. Disappointing, if you went with expectations.

Danger said:
Could be, but not several species. The only small, furry animals in her neighbourhood are rats and stray cats. (She killed off all of the squirrels with that plunger of hers.)
Did you miss the UMMAGUMMA reference?
6. Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict

I'm a medium fan - I went to one concert: Division Bell at the Vet in '94. It was damn good.

fourier jr said:
if you put on dark side of the moon at the same time the lion roars just before the wizard of oz starts, the music will coincide perfectly with what's happening on screen. i think when the house is in the tornado on the run is playing, when dorothy steps out into oz for the first time you hear the cash registers at the beginning of money, etc etc.

I always started the music at the THIRD roar of the MGM lion. Try it. It's totally cool! :biggrin:

Sorry. That was my post. Ivan used my computer and forgot to log out. :rolleyes:

fourier jr said:
waters must be the most underrated lyricist there ever was.

Agreed. Waters is probably my favorite lyricist of all time. It's an easy aspect to miss since Pink Floyd is driven more by the instrumentation than the vocals. Waters is great at marrying effective aural flow (rhyme, rhythm, assonance, etc.) with imagery, clever word plays, etc. that arise from the meanings of the words, which is what poetry is all about. The opening verse from Echoes is one of my favorites for imagery and sound:

Overhead the albatross
Hangs motionless upon the air
And deep beneath the rolling waves
In labyrinths of coral caves
The echo of a distant time
Comes willowing across the sand
And everything is green and submarine.

And particularly when he wants to be sarcastic or biting, there's no one better at twisting the verbal knife. See, for instance, every single track on Animals. :cool: This one from Dogs is particularly scathing, and also features great wordplay with the bad blood/weight/stone metaphors, along with great rhythm and assonance:

And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.
And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone.
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around.
So have a good drown, as you go down, all alone,
Dragged down by the stone.

First time I read those lyrics Hyp, I literally cried. Waters is definitely a superb songwriter, but I do appreciate Gilmour's guitar abilities just as much.

"'Forward' they cried from the rear
and the front rank died.
The generals sat and the lines on the map
moved from side to side."

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.

1. What is "Echoes" by Pink Floyd?

"Echoes" is a 23-minute long psychedelic rock song by the British band Pink Floyd. It was released in 1971 as a part of their album "Meddle" and has since become one of their most iconic and beloved songs.

2. How did Pink Floyd create the timeless sounds in "Echoes"?

Pink Floyd used a combination of innovative recording techniques and experimental instruments to create the timeless sounds in "Echoes." This includes using a Leslie speaker for the guitar, a rotating speaker typically used for organs, and creating tape loops to create the eerie underwater-like sound effects.

3. What makes "Echoes" a timeless song?

The combination of the unique and experimental sounds, the thought-provoking lyrics, and the long instrumental sections make "Echoes" a timeless song. It has stood the test of time and continues to be appreciated by music fans of all ages.

4. Why is "Echoes" considered one of Pink Floyd's greatest songs?

"Echoes" is considered one of Pink Floyd's greatest songs because of its musical complexity, thought-provoking lyrics, and the emotional impact it has on listeners. It also showcases the band's ability to seamlessly blend different genres and experiment with new sounds.

5. Is "Echoes" a concept song?

While "Echoes" does not have a specific storyline or concept like some of Pink Floyd's other songs, it does explore themes of time, life, and death. The lyrics and music work together to create a cohesive and thought-provoking piece of music.