Are Newer Textbooks More Like Magazines than Educational Tools?

• Thread starter The Rev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbooks
In summary, the conversation discusses the speakers' experiences with recently published textbooks, noting how they are often filled with fluff and colorful pictures, rather than focusing on the actual content. The speakers also mention the lack of examples and the potential for textbooks to be influenced by politics or the agendas of professors. However, they both appreciate the simplicity and focus of older textbooks.
The Rev
I'm 38 and I just became reinterested in math as a hobby. I've bought a few textbooks on Ebay to catch up the things I learned 20+ years ago in High School, and I'm just floored by the new texts.

Is it just me, or is reading a textbook that's recently published feel like you're reading a super-PC version of People Magazine? (Sometimes, it takes awhile just to find the content through all the fluff.)

[tex]\infty[/tex]

The Rev

Physics news on Phys.org
I prefer US Weekly myself.

I think the same can be said of mags like Newsweek and Time. It's about the colorful pictures now.

But once you get past high school or even some freshman year college textbooks - things are as dull in presentation as ever - at least in physics.

Tell me about it.

Examples and junk all over the place.

Examples?... ah... yes, I remember textbooks that have examples in them, I miss them. Oh well I guess. And yes, as juvenal has already said, textbooks in physics are as bland as they have always been in physics and I am guessing the same in other subjects.
Cheers and good luck in the textbook search.

Well at least your not being told which books to buy based on some sort of school politics or based on which books your Professor has written and needs to sell.

juvenal said:
I prefer US Weekly myself.

I think the same can be said of mags like Newsweek and Time. It's about the colorful pictures now.

But once you get past high school or even some freshman year college textbooks - things are as dull in presentation as ever - at least in physics.

Thank God. When I went looking for a Trig book, I made sure to get one published in the '80s. Nice and monochromatic. No social history worked in. No pictures from movies to keep in fun. Just boring old equations and math in their pristine, undisturbed beauty.

[tex]\pi[/tex]

The Rev

ptex said:
Well at least your not being told which books to buy based on some sort of school politics or based on which books your Professor has written and needs to sell.

Don't even get me started. It's obscene enough to rewrite history books to fit the current political cause celebre. When they start doing it to math books, then I have to call my lawyer; cus dat's jus wrong, biatch!

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

The Rev said:
Don't even get me started. It's obscene enough to rewrite history books to fit the current political cause celebre. When they start doing it to math books, then I have to call my lawyer; cus dat's jus wrong, biatch!

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

I thought you were 38?

I am. I'm just getting back into math as a hobby. (Don't let my use of the word "biatch" throw you off :tongue: ).

[tex]\infty[/tex]

The Rev

ptex said:

Hehe, our entire first year course uses the book written by one of our faculty.

What are "Newer Textbooks"?

"Newer textbooks" refer to textbooks that have been recently published and are considered to be more up-to-date compared to older textbooks. These textbooks may contain new information, revised content, and updated examples and explanations.

Why are "Newer Textbooks" important?

As new research and discoveries are made, information in a certain field of study may become outdated. Newer textbooks help to keep students and professionals up-to-date with the latest information and developments in their field.

What are the benefits of using "Newer Textbooks"?

Using newer textbooks allows students to learn the most current and relevant information, which can help them succeed in their studies and future careers. These textbooks also often include modern teaching methods and technology, making the learning experience more engaging and effective.

How can one determine if a textbook is considered "Newer"?

The best way to determine if a textbook is considered "newer" is to check the publication date. Generally, textbooks published within the last 5-10 years can be considered newer. Additionally, checking for any revisions, updates, or editions can also indicate if a textbook is newer.

Are "Newer Textbooks" always better than older textbooks?

Not necessarily. While newer textbooks may contain the most recent information, older textbooks may still be relevant and useful, especially in fields where the fundamentals do not change. It is important to evaluate the content and relevance of a textbook rather than solely relying on its publication date.