A car with a mass of 1800 kg slows from 42 km/h [E] to 28 km/h [E].

• Thread starter CabalGroupie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Mass
In summary, a car with a mass of 1800 kg slows from 42 km/h [E] to 28 km/h [E], resulting in an impulse from the brakes of 7.0 x 10^3 N*s. The correct solution involves converting the velocities from kilometers per hour to meters per second.
CabalGroupie

Homework Statement

A car with a mass of 1800 kg slows from 42 km/h [E] to 28 km/h [E]. The impulse from the brakes is?

I know its a simple question but I was hoping if I could get a walkthrough. I keep getting the answer 2.5 x 10^4 N*s [W] and the answer is 7.0 x 10^3 N*s

Homework Equations

p=pf-pi

The Attempt at a Solution

(1800)(28[E])-(1800)(42[E])=50400[E]-75600[E]
=25200[W]
=2.5 x 10^4 N*s [W]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello CabalGroupie,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

CabalGroupie said:

Homework Statement

A car with a mass of 1800 kg slows from 42 km/h [E] to 28 km/h [E]. The impulse from the brakes is?

I know its a simple question but I was hoping if I could get a walkthrough. I keep getting the answer 2.5 x 10^4 N*s [W] and the answer is 7.0 x 10^3 N*s

Homework Equations

p=pf-pi

The Attempt at a Solution

(1800)(28[E])-(1800)(42[E])=50400[E]-75600[E]
=25200[W]
=2.5 x 10^4 N*s [W]

Don't forget to convert your velocities from kilometers per hour to meters per second. :wink:

Gahh thank you! I feel so incredibly stupid right now that question bothered me way more then it should have

1. How is the kinetic energy of the car affected by the change in speed?

The kinetic energy of the car is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity. This means that as the car slows down, its kinetic energy decreases.

2. What is the magnitude and direction of the car's change in velocity?

The magnitude of the car's change in velocity is 14 km/h and its direction is east, as indicated by the [E] in the given information.

3. How is momentum conserved in this scenario?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In this scenario, the car's initial momentum and final momentum must be equal, despite the change in velocity.

4. How much work is done on the car to slow it down?

The work done on an object is equal to the force applied to it multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. Without knowing the force applied, it is impossible to determine the exact amount of work done on the car.

5. How does the change in velocity affect the car's acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. In this scenario, the car is decelerating, or slowing down, so its acceleration is negative and decreasing in magnitude.