Searching for a Physics Book - Astronaut Dragging Personal Black Hole

• Thread starter lechiffre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses a popular physics book that the speaker has been trying to track down. The book mentions a hypothetical astronaut traveling at lightspeed and observing changes to the stars behind him. The author suggests that the astronaut is creating a personal black hole, which explains the lack of stars behind him. The speaker eventually found the answer to a long-standing question in this book, but cannot remember the title or author. They are a newcomer to the site and unsure if this is a common topic for regulars.
lechiffre
I've been trying to track down one of the popular physics books, a title I read years ago and can't recall. The author referred to a hypothetical astronaut, traveling at or close to lightspeed. Looking out of his ship's rear window he observes the stars behind him gradually reddening and dimming and eventually disappearing altogether as wavelength becomes infinite. In the forward direction the universe is foreshortened to a point as all light is completely blue-shifted. The author suggested that the astronaut is effectively dragging along his own personal black hole behind him, as this would logically account for his inability to see any stars astern of him. I eventually saw in these observations the answer to something which had been puzzling my poor brain for years (ever since reading "Einsteins Universe" even earlier !) I'm darned if I can remember the title or author of the book that I found this in. I've tried all the ones I can remember, not that there have been very many, I'm not much of a scientist and less of a mathematician. I haven't looked around the site yet (newbie) and for all I know this is Mother's Milk to the regulars.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
please do not post the same topic in more than one forum

1. What is the purpose of searching for a physics book about astronaut dragging personal black hole?

The purpose of searching for a physics book about astronaut dragging personal black hole is to gain a better understanding of the concept of black holes and the effects they have on space and time. It can also provide insights into the potential use of black holes in space travel and exploration.

2. How do black holes affect space and time?

Black holes are massive objects with an incredibly strong gravitational pull. They can distort the fabric of space and time, causing time to slow down and space to warp around them. Objects that get too close to a black hole can be pulled in and never escape, leading to the concept of an "event horizon".

3. Can astronauts actually drag a personal black hole?

No, it is currently not possible for astronauts to have a personal black hole. Black holes are formed from the collapse of massive stars, and their creation requires extreme conditions that cannot be replicated by humans. The idea of an astronaut dragging a personal black hole is purely theoretical at this point.

4. Are there any real-life applications for black holes?

While the concept of using black holes for space travel and exploration is still in the realm of science fiction, there are some real-life applications for black holes in astrophysics. Studying black holes can provide insights into the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the behavior of matter in extreme conditions.

5. Are there any recommended books for learning about black holes and their effects on space and time?

Yes, there are many books available on the topic of black holes, including "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It is recommended to do some research and read reviews to find a book that best suits your interests and level of understanding.