Effects of Prolonged Screen Time on Eyesight: Separating Fact from Fiction

• Thread starter Myriad209
  • Start date
In summary, it is not clear that screen-based equipment like TVs and monitors cause eye problems. However, it is possible that this is due to genetics.
Myriad209
Ok, so I need this to be cleared up. I've been using 40 contrast/brightness on a CTR monitor. I used to have it to something really bright and my eyes would start to hurt after a while, when I toned it down (a lot) it really helped. But, if you went outside, it's really bright there's a lot more photons hitting your eyes. But I also thought about like some spot where there's a lot light then everywhere else is a lot darker.

Do monitors ruin eyesight? :confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
I've heard that staring at a monitor (Tv or otherwise) for too long lots can have a bad effect on your eyesight. Perhaps people should wear special goggles/eyewear or something to prevent/decrease that from happening (When using a computer, tv, etc)

Just a thought? I mean keep in mind it's likely that more and more people will be using computers,more and more...

Last edited:
I do not think that there any reason to believe that monitors ruin eyesight. Here is a link to a review article about the effect of using screen based equipment on the eyes.
Do video display units cause visual problems? - a bedside story about the processes of public health decision-making.

Here is a quote from page 217 of the linked article:
B.L. Cole said:
...After three decades of extensive use of SBE [Screen-Based Equipment] in the workplace and several surveys of the ocular health of SBE users, including one six-year prospective survey, there is no credible evidence that they cause cataract or other eye disorders...

Take this as a personal anecdote, but I'm short sighted and my eyes become worse during the exam period.. every exam period! I don't think its because of anything specific like TV or a computer monitor, but staring at anything in close range for long periods of time. It's probably genetic as well.

1. Can staring at a monitor for long periods of time really damage my eyesight?

While there is no definitive evidence that monitors can cause permanent damage to eyesight, prolonged exposure to screens can cause symptoms such as eye strain, dry eyes, and headaches. It is important to take breaks and practice good eye hygiene, such as looking away from the screen every 20 minutes and blinking regularly.

2. Do blue light filters on monitors actually protect my eyes from damage?

Blue light filters, such as those found on some monitors, can help reduce eyestrain and fatigue. However, there is no conclusive evidence that they prevent long-term damage to eyesight. It is still important to limit screen time and practice good eye habits.

3. Are certain types of monitors worse for eyesight than others?

There is no one type of monitor that is inherently worse for eyesight than others. However, factors such as screen resolution, brightness, and glare can contribute to eye strain. It is important to adjust these settings to a comfortable level and also take breaks from screen time.

4. Can sitting too close to a monitor cause eye damage?

Sitting too close to a monitor can cause eye strain and discomfort, but it is not likely to cause any permanent damage. It is recommended to position yourself at least an arm's length away from the monitor and adjust the font size and screen brightness for optimal viewing.

5. Are children more at risk for eye damage from monitors?

Children's eyes are still developing and may be more sensitive to the effects of prolonged screen time. It is recommended for children to limit screen time and take breaks frequently. Encouraging outdoor activities and other hobbies can also help reduce the risk of eye strain and damage.