Any recommendations for a comprehensive physics reference book?

In summary: I would recommend you to look into "The Engineer's Guide to the Universe" by Robert H. Richards. It is a great book that covers a wide range of topics in engineering.
SDutra
Hey, I'm a high school student who is currently taking college level physics. Does anybody know of a good reference book that covers all of the basics and some more advanced topics. I would like it to be able to help with most of my curriculem this year and also explain more advanced topics just because I am interested. During my search I came across the "Handbook Of Physics" (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=Qe0SOLwBF9&isbn=0387952691&itm=4). Has anyone used this book. Any guidance to a solid book would help. Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Feynman lectures are excellent, but expensive.

SDutra said:
Does anybody know of a good reference book that covers all of the basics and some more advanced topics. I would like it to be able to help with most of my curriculem this year and also explain more advanced topics just because I am interested.

I would recommend you to use 'FUNDAMENTALS OF PHYSICS' by David Halliday, Robert Resnick and Jearl Walker.

Please let me know of any Physics Reference book you think is good.

"University Physics" by Young and Freedman was my first year text, despite the name of the book, a solid portion of it is actually of a high school level, and covers classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics and selected topics on modern physics such as special relativity and quantum mechanics.

This book tackles topics from a very conceptual level, and is very light on the mathematics.

Claude.

I decided to go with "Sears and Zemansky's University Physics With Modern Physics". I got the tenth edition used off of amazon for $10. Seems like a really good deal for 1500 pages. 150 pages per doaller that is a lot better than most books lol. Has anyone used this book or have any opinions about it?

Thinking about it, Physics for Scientists and Engineers by P.A. Tipler would be a good first reference - less 'in at the deep end' feel than Feynman's lectures.

SDutra said:
Seems like a really good deal for 1500 pages. 150 pages per doaller that is a lot better than most books lol.

i appreciate your choice, but I strictly suggest you to not buy a book just because it fetches you more pages per dollar. Because it is the quality that matters, not the size.

Because it is the quality that matters, not the size.
Try explaining that to the women :uhh:

SDutra said:
I decided to go with "Sears and Zemansky's University Physics With Modern Physics". I got the tenth edition used off of amazon for $10. Seems like a really good deal for 1500 pages. 150 pages per doaller that is a lot better than most books lol. Has anyone used this book or have any opinions about it?

It's a great book but considered more difficult than Tipler or Halliday & Resnick. I think it explains things better and more fully than the other two. I am told the problems are more difficult than the others I mentioned. I use it for a reference often but started with H&R way back when. Good luck

mmwave.

FYI: I didn't just buy it because it was cheap lol. I read some reviews and decided to get it because (according to some reviews) it explains how theories and formulas were arrived at instead of just stating them. And it seems I ended up with a good book even though it may be hard to understand at first. Thanks for all the help.

PS: Does anyone know of a book/site that explains the differences between the basic engineering fields. I read the sticky in the engineering foruma and am looking for a more in depth source to help me decide on a major later on.

Last edited:

What is a good physics reference book?

A good physics reference book is one that is comprehensive, accurate, and easy to understand. It should cover all the major topics in physics and provide clear explanations and examples.

What are the essential features of a good physics reference book?

A good physics reference book should have clear and organized content, including definitions, formulas, diagrams, and examples. It should also have a glossary, index, and references for further reading.

What are some recommended physics reference books?

Some popular and highly recommended physics reference books include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Feynman, Leighton, and Sands, and "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser.

Is it necessary to have a physics reference book for studying physics?

While it is not necessary to have a physics reference book, it can greatly aid in understanding and studying physics. A good reference book can provide a comprehensive overview of the subject and serve as a useful tool for reviewing and clarifying concepts.

What should I look for when choosing a physics reference book?

When choosing a physics reference book, consider your level of understanding and the level of the book, as well as the book's organization, clarity, and reviews from other readers. It is also important to make sure the book covers the specific topics you need to study.