Good Beginner Book for Quantum Physics for High Schoolers

In summary: It's always a good idea to start with a solid foundation in classical mechanics before diving into quantum mechanics. Some recommended books for beginners include "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat" by John Gribbin, "Thirty Years That Shook Physics" by George Gamow, "Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form" by Tomas F. Jordan, "The Quantum Universe" by Tony Hey and Patrick Walters, and "The Meaning of Quantum Theory" by Jim Baggott. These books offer a good balance of conceptual explanations and basic math, making them suitable for high school students interested in learning about quantum physics. It's also important to remember that learning physics takes time and building on concepts in a sequential order is key.
curly_ebhc
I have a student that is interested in learning some quantum physics at the conceptual level. What you be good reading material to start with. We can do a little math but I am in a high school setting. Any suggestions appreciated.

curly

Physics news on Phys.org
There really aren't many good quantum mechanics books out there that don't involve a lot of calculus and differential equations. This is more or less unavoidable with regards to the physical sciences. In my opinion, you should have a firm grasp of classical mechanics before you even consider looking at quantum mechanics; it makes the subject matter flow more smoothly. Learning physics is a slow process, that requires that you follow the steps more or less in order. I know this probably isn't the answer you want to hear because I was the same way back in high school, but that's the best way to go about it.

The book I first read on quantum theory is "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat: Quantum Physics And Reality" by John Gribbin. The concepts are all here, and the required math is relatively basic. A knowledge of high school algebra will get someone started, and Gribbin does the rest. As far as "popular science" books go, Gribbin is good. His book is much more grounded in real science than most pop sci books are. I would recommend this book as a first start.

Way back when I was in high school, one of the books that got me started on quantum physics was George Gamow's "Thirty Years That Shook Physics" which covers basically the 1905-1935 period. Gamow was actually part of the action, as a participant at Niels Bohr's famous institute in Copenhagen. His history and explanations of the physics are interspersed with great anecdotes about the physicists involved. (Imagine Niels Bohr demonstrating mountain-climbing technique by scaling a Copenhagen bank building in the middle of the night! Then the police came along and... :-)

I hadn't thought about that book in a while, so I looked on amazon.com, and lo and behold, there it is, for $8.95 and free shipping, thanks to the folks at Dover Publications. Grab it!

You might as well get some of Gamow's other books while you're at it. Start with "Mr. Tompkins in Paperback" if you want more modern-physics stuff, and add "One Two Three... Infinity" if your student is interested in math.

How about good old Halliday and Resnick? The math is minimal.

Try "Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form" by Tomas F. Jordan. It is a good introduction for people who want to get some concepts of QM without knowing calculus or deferential equation.

Sorry! Thomas F. Jordan is the author of “Quantum Mechanics in Simple Matrix Form”

I like "The Quantum Universe" by Tony Hey and Patrick Walters. The math is specifically aimed at high-school level and it is full of pictures. It really gives a feel for what doing quantum experiments is like and gives lots of applications. Of course, Schroedinger's cat et. al. also make an appearance, but the book is more about the successes of the theory than about it's conceptual difficulties. Every high school should have this book in their library in my opinion.

I also like "The Meaning of Quantum Theory" by Jim Baggott. It is aimed at explaining the conceptual problems of quantum theory to chemistry and physics undergrads. It has more math than a popular science book, and you may need a little calculus and linear algebra to follow some chapters. However, it's not as much as in a standard quantum physics textbook, so if your student is strong then they might enjoy the challenge.

Thanks

:smile: Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definately look into most.
I will probably start with the basic physics test and I have a few halliday resnick (don't we all).:biggrin:

1. What is quantum physics, and why is it important to learn?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It is important to learn because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy, and has led to groundbreaking technologies such as computers and lasers.

2. What makes a book a good beginner's guide for high school students?

A good beginner book for high school students should have clear and concise explanations, use simple language, and provide relevant examples and real-world applications. It should also have engaging visuals and exercises to reinforce understanding.

3. What topics should a good beginner book cover in quantum physics?

A good beginner book should cover the basics of quantum mechanics, including wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, and the Schrödinger equation. It should also touch on topics such as quantum entanglement, superposition, and quantum computing.

4. Are there any prerequisites for understanding quantum physics as a high school student?

To understand quantum physics, a high school student should have a solid foundation in algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. They should also be familiar with basic concepts of classical mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. How can a high school student apply their knowledge of quantum physics?

A high school student can apply their knowledge of quantum physics in a variety of fields, such as engineering, computer science, and medicine. They can also use it to better understand the world around them, from the behavior of light and atoms to the functioning of everyday devices like smartphones and MRI machines.