Find Electric Flux and Charge in Cube with Edge at (0,0,0)

In summary: The flux through each of these two surfaces is the same, and the flux through each of the other four surfaces is zero.)In summary, the electric flux through the cube is 3(1.4)^3 nm^2/C and the charge inside the cube can be calculated using the equation \Phi = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}. The field in part b is only non-zero in the y-direction, resulting in a flux of 3(1.4)^3 nm^
stunner5000pt
I know I'm reposting this... but no one seems interested in my thread.. maybe becuase it already has replies (which doesn't mean its been solved!) but whatever

cube is placed with its edge at (0,0,0) as in the diagram. The sides of the cube are1 .4m. Find the electric flux and the charge inside the cube if the electric field is given by
a)3yN/C j
b) -4N/C i + [6N/C + (3Nm/C)y]j

for a) [tex] \Phi = \int E \bullet dA \hat{j} [/tex]
[tex] \Phi = \int (3y)(dA) \hat{j} \bullet \hat{j} [/tex]
[tex] \Phi = 3 \int ydA [/tex]
but y is constant and A is constant soo
[tex] \Phi = 3 (1.4)^3 [/tex]
taht gives it for ONE face. But what about hte other face of the cube? I don't want to proceed with the other question since it is similar to this. ANYWAY., if you could help me it would be really awesome

thank you for your help and advice!

Attachments

• charge.JPG
    charge.JPG
    4.2 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No worries, you're "fluxation" worries will be taken care of. Just as an inital though, if a field vector is constant for the entire domain, chances are pretty good the the net flux is zero throughout the gaussian surface. IN order to investigate though, you need to examine the flux at each face. since you have the dimensions of the cube and the orientation of the electric vector field, then evaluate the flux at each surface. If you're numbers show a NET FLUX of zero, then your in good shape with the general analysis. But if not and/or you're not sure about your numbers, post up what you have done and either myself or some other brave sould will take a look at it.

but in ths case the electric field is not consatnt its 3y, poiting in the Y direction... Are you sure that the electrifc field would be zero then?

good call, I was wondering that as well. PLease clarifyand leave nothing out. That value of Y (constant or not) could affect the whole problem.

i posted the question as it appeared in teh book.

Is the flux really zero through this cube? The field is non uniform...

soc na nayone help me with the qeustion?

the field is not zero.. since the field is not uniform, or doesi t work out to be zero? Please advise!

stunner5000pt said:
for a) [tex] \Phi = \int E \bullet dA \hat{j} [/tex]
[tex] \Phi = \int (3y)(dA) \hat{j} \bullet \hat{j} [/tex]
[tex] \Phi = 3 \int ydA [/tex]
but y is constant and A is constant soo
[tex] \Phi = 3 (1.4)^3 [/tex]
taht gives it for ONE face. But what about hte other face of the cube? I don't want to proceed with the other question since it is similar to this. ANYWAY., if you could help me it would be really awesome
You'd find the flux through the other relevant side in exactly the same way. (Of course, it's trivial since y = 0 for the other side.) Since the field is only in the [itex]\hat{j}[/itex] direction, only the two sides perpendicular to the y-axis could have any flux (the sides at y = 1.4m, and y = 0).

What makes you think the total flux is zero?

so would the electric flux of the other side be the negative value since the angle between E and dA on that side is pi?
THIS is what's making me think the flux is zero... but i can't believe that since the field is non uniform...

for the other side
[tex] \Phi = \int E \bullet dA = \int 3\hat{j} dA\hat{j} cos 180 [/tex]
i don't think this is right...

Before you worry about the angle that the field makes with dA, first tell me the value of the field on the side y = 0.

the value is the same as the other side because the same calculation from #1 follows, does it not? that is 3 (1.4)^3?

No. The field is given as 3yN/C j; it depends on y! (The same method is used to calculate the flux for each side, but you have to use the appropriate value of y--which is different for each side.)

on the left the y value is zero
on the right side the value is 1.4
so what happens to the dA however...?

Who cares what happens to dA? If the y value is zero, what is the value of the electric field?

Doc Al said:
Who cares what happens to dA? If the y value is zero, what is the value of the electric field?
the value of the elctric field is then zero if y is zero
right?

Right! So the flux through that side is zero.

awesome

now for the other side... is what i have correct?

If you are asking about the flux you caculated through the side with y = 1.4m (that you posted in #1): yes, that looks good.

so the total flux for the first question that is part a is 3(1.4)^3 nm^2/C and that's that? To find the induced charge... i simply use this [tex] \Phi = \frac{q}{epsilon_{0}} [/tex]

THank you for the help so far!

I will solve part b and post my solution up in a little while.

Once again.. thank you for the help!

That's all there is to it.

ok for the second part where [itex] E = (-4N/C)\hat{i} + [6N/C + (3N/Cm)y]\hat{j} [/itex]
ok since the field is uniform for the -4N/C i part and the 6N/C j part... the flux is zero through the x=0 and x=1.4 sides and the y sides which are affected by the 6N/C field

however for the 3N/cm y j field - for the y=0 the flux is zero, but the y=1.4m the flux is
[tex] \Phi = \int 3y dA = 3 \int y dA [/tex] since y is constnat and A is also constnat and y = 1.4 and A = 1.4^2
[tex] \Phi = 3(1.4)^3 [/tex]
Am i good now? Did i get it right?
So the only flux is 3(1.4)^3 and the other components of the field have no effect on the flux in the cube?

You got it. The field in part b is just the field from part a with a constant term added everywhere. But that constant term will not add to the the net flux through the closed cube. Thus the flux is identical in both parts.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a surface. It is a scalar quantity and is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector.

2. How do you find electric flux?

To find electric flux, you need to calculate the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. This can be done by first determining the magnitude and direction of the electric field and then using the formula E⋅A⋅cos(θ), where E is the electric field, A is the surface area vector, and θ is the angle between them.

3. What is the charge inside a cube with an edge at (0,0,0)?

The charge inside a cube with an edge at (0,0,0) depends on the distribution of charge within the cube. If there is no charge inside the cube, then the charge would be zero. If there is a uniform charge distribution, you can use the formula Q = ρV, where ρ is the charge density and V is the volume of the cube to calculate the charge.

4. How does the location of the cube's edge affect the electric flux and charge?

The location of the cube's edge can affect the electric flux and charge in several ways. Moving the cube's edge closer to a source of electric field will increase the electric flux and charge, while moving it farther away will decrease them. Additionally, changing the orientation of the cube's edge will also affect the electric flux and charge.

5. Can you use different units to express electric flux and charge?

Yes, electric flux and charge can be expressed in different units depending on the system of measurement being used. Some common units for electric flux include volts per meter (V/m) and newtons per coulomb (N/C). Charge is typically measured in coulombs (C) or its subunits, such as microcoulombs (μC) or millcoulombs (mC).