Calculating the power spectrum

In summary, the power spectrum of a periodic signal, such as a square wave, can be calculated using the Fourier series. The coefficients of the series represent the complex amplitudes of the sinusoidal components at different frequencies, and the power at each frequency can be determined using the power equation. However, the amplitude of the signal is relevant in these calculations. The reason for calculating power spectra may vary depending on the context, but it can be useful in analyzing signals and understanding their frequency components.
ACLerok

Homework Statement

Calculate the power spectrum in dBm of a zero offset, 10MHz square wave with amplitude A from DC to 50MHz.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given this problem but am not sure how to go about solving it. Is the power spectrum the same as the power spectral density? I don't need the solution rather some tips and formulas that can be used to solve it. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When you have a periodic signal you use the Fourier series to approximate the signal as a sum of sinusoidal signals at frequencies of 0 (the DC component), F (the frequency of the periodic signal), and positive integer multiples of F. The coefficients of the Fourier series are the complex amplitudes of this sinusoidals. Knowing the complex amplitudes at each frequency you can calculate the power at each frequency (considering a load of 1 ohm), and this would be the power spectrum. Ofcourse you can't calculate the whole spectrum because it has an infinity of components. But in this problem you are asked to calculate it from DC (0 Hz) to 50MHz.

If you had a non-periodic signal you would have used the Fourier transform to calculate it's spectral density of complex amplitude from which you would have calculated the power spectral density.

So, when you have a periodic signal you calculate it's power spectrum and when you have a non-periodic signal you calculate it's power spectral density.

This is because the spectrum of a periodic signal is discrete as opposed to that of a non-periodic signal which is continuous (and in the case of a continuous spectrum it's not handy to tell the power at each frequency).

so in calculating the power spectrum, the amplitude A is not relevant? Once i have the Fourier series representation of the square wave, I can just take the 3rd term (for the 3rd harmonic) and use the Power equation to calculate the power generated at that harmonic?

ACLerok said:
so in calculating the power spectrum, the amplitude A is not relevant? Once i have the Fourier series representation of the square wave, I can just take the 3rd term (for the 3rd harmonic) and use the Power equation to calculate the power generated at that harmonic?

Each term of the Fourier series depends on the amplitude A.

I thought I would add to this thread instead of making another one.

My question is this: why do we calculate power spectrums at all?

This makes sense in the context of voltage (power = V2/R), but I've seen this used in numerous other contexts with other units for the signal.

For example, some might calculate the power spectrum for the signal intensity of an MRI image of the brain.

Why?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

1. What is the power spectrum?

The power spectrum is a mathematical representation of how the power or amplitude of a signal is distributed across different frequencies. It is commonly used in signal processing and data analysis to identify and analyze patterns and trends in the data.

2. How is the power spectrum calculated?

The power spectrum is calculated using a mathematical operation called Fourier transform, which converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. This allows for the identification of the individual frequencies present in the signal and their corresponding power values.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided power spectrum?

A one-sided power spectrum only shows the positive frequencies of a signal, while a two-sided power spectrum shows both the positive and negative frequencies. In most cases, the one-sided power spectrum is used as it provides the same amount of information as the two-sided spectrum but is easier to interpret.

4. What can the power spectrum tell us about a signal?

The power spectrum can provide valuable insights into the underlying patterns and frequencies present in a signal. It can help identify dominant frequencies, periodicities, and correlations within the data. It can also be used to compare different signals and identify any similarities or differences in their frequency distributions.

5. How is the power spectrum used in scientific research?

The power spectrum is a widely used tool in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, biology, and astronomy. It can be used to analyze and interpret data from various sources, such as EEG signals, seismic data, and astronomical observations. It is also used in the design and analysis of digital filters, image processing, and pattern recognition algorithms.