Does citric acid decay over time?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of citric acid for etching purposes and the question of whether it "decays" or becomes weaker over time. It is determined that it is not the citric acid that is decomposing, but rather the hydrogen peroxide in the mixture. Factors such as temperature, concentration, and impurities can affect the rate of decomposition. It is recommended to mix the solution in an ice bath and use it immediately after production. Adding lemon juice can act as a preservative, but proper precautions should be taken to prevent bacterial contamination.
sir_manning
Does citric acid "decay"?

Hi

I'm preparing about 80 mL of citric acid from anhydrous crystals, using 1g of crystals to 1 mL of de-ionized water. It is for the purposes of etching GaAs with a 3:1 citric acid to H2O2 (by volume) mixture. I wait at least a day after making the acid from the crystals before use.

My question is, does citric acid "decay" (become weaker) over time? I might be imagining things, but it seems that when I use acid that has been sitting around for more than 4 days, my etching rate is slower and/or inconsistent. The acid is stored in a clear glass container in an acids cabinet. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org

That's a kind of funny question, since it's often used as a preservative.

Anyway, at those concentrations we can rule out bacteria eating it, and at room temperature citric acid is chemically stable. So offhand it doesn't sound likely.

alxm said:
That's a kind of funny question, since it's often used as a preservative.

That's how I preserve my vinegar,by pickling it.:confused:

sir_manning said:
Hi

I'm preparing about 80 mL of citric acid from anhydrous crystals, using 1g of crystals to 1 mL of de-ionized water. It is for the purposes of etching GaAs with a 3:1 citric acid to H2O2 (by volume) mixture. I wait at least a day after making the acid from the crystals before use.

My question is, does citric acid "decay" (become weaker) over time? I might be imagining things, but it seems that when I use acid that has been sitting around for more than 4 days, my etching rate is slower and/or inconsistent. The acid is stored in a clear glass container in an acids cabinet. Thanks!

It is not citric acid decomposition, but rather hydrogen peroxide decomposition.

Hydrogen peroxide decomposes (disproportionates) exothermically into water and oxygen gas spontaneously:
[tex]2 \text{ H}_2 \text{O}_2 \rightarrow 2 \text{ H}_2 \text{O} + \text{O}_2[/tex]

The rate of decomposition is dependent on the temperature and concentration of the peroxide, as well as the pH and the presence of impurities and stabilizers.

I recommend mixing your solution in an ice bath, which is just cold water and ice cubes and using your aqueous solution immediately after production.

Decomposition may be reduced by refrigerating your solution and avoiding exposure to radiation such as heat, light and sunlight.

It may be possible to restore your solution by digitally measuring the pH of a freshly mixed solution and restoring back to that pH by adding more hydrogen peroxide until the pH matches the original mixture formula.

It is also not necessary to wait to mix your acid formula.

Dadface said:
That's how I preserve my vinegar,by pickling it.:confused:
Affirmative, adding something like 5 milliliters of Lemon juice (5% to 6% aqueous citric acid solution), acts as a preservative for the example of canning fruits and vegetables and juices.

However, prevention of contamination and elimination of all forms of bacteria from preserved food should be the greatest concern.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide#Decomposition"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citric_acid"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon"

Last edited by a moderator:

You can keep the aqueous citric acid solution mixed in advance of when you use it, but you should add the appropriate amount of fresh 30% hydrogen peroxide (or whatever the stock concentration you're using is) to the citric acid solution immediately before you use it.

Thanks for the replies. The citric acid is kept at room temperature and the H2O2 is kept in a fridge. I usually mix the two about 20 minutes before using them. I'll try keeping the citric in the fridge too.

Also, hydrogen peroxide could slowly oxidize citric acid, I think.

1. What is citric acid?

Citric acid is a weak organic acid found in citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, and oranges. It is commonly used as a food additive to give a sour or acidic taste to foods and beverages.

2. Does citric acid expire or go bad?

Citric acid does not expire or go bad as it is a stable compound. However, it may lose its potency over time if not stored properly.

3. Can citric acid decay or decompose?

Yes, citric acid can decay or decompose over time due to exposure to heat, air, and moisture. This can cause it to lose its potency and effectiveness.

4. How can I tell if citric acid has gone bad?

If citric acid has gone bad, it may appear discolored, clumpy, or have a strong odor. It may also have a less acidic taste and be less effective in its intended use.

5. What is the shelf life of citric acid?

The shelf life of citric acid varies depending on the form and storage conditions. Generally, the powdered form can last up to 3 years, while the liquid form can last up to 2 years. It is best to check the expiration date on the packaging for an accurate estimate.