What mistake did I make in calculating the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

In summary, the conversation discusses using row operations to bring a matrix to diagonal form and find its determinant. The process involves multiplying rows by constants, exchanging rows, and adding rows. The conversation also mentions the concept of expansion by minors and using the elements of a row to expand. The steps for finding the determinant of a 4x4 matrix are also mentioned.
Carnap

Homework Statement

The matrix is in the following form

2 4 -2 -2
1 3 1 2
1 3 1 3
-1 2 1 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I subtracted equation 2 from equation 3 and came up with the following matrix

2 4 -2 -1
1 3 1 2
0 0 0 1
1 -2 1 2

It seems to make sense to pivot around the 1 in the third equation. I tried it and got 5 which I know is not that answer using an online Matrix calculator and my professor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing wrong with what you've done so far. How did you get the rest of the way to '5'?

I tried to apply the 3x3 matrix times the value of 1. I use the diagonal method. I am not sure what it is actually called.

I have some confusion between column and row evaluations. I am not sure which one to use (row seems to make sense since there are several 0's).

Use row operations to bring the matrix to diagonal form. The determinant is the sum of the diagonals. Also, remember what the operations do to the determinant. Multiplying any row by a constant multiplies the determinant by a constant. Exchanging rows makes the determinant negative. Adding rows does nothing.

Carnap said:
I tried to apply the 3x3 matrix times the value of 1. I use the diagonal method. I am not sure what it is actually called.

It looks like you are trying to do "expansion by minors" http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DeterminantExpansionbyMinors.html and working along the third row is fine. That would actually give you (-1) (there's a +/- sign for every matrix position) times a 3x3 matrix. But the determinant of the 3x3 matrix isn't 5 either.

Using row exchanges and factoring I came up with the following matrix.

1 2 -1 -1
1 3 1 2
0 0 0 1
-1 2 1 24

The example you gave me showed doing the pivot on a 3x3. Where do I pivot on the 4x4?

I was thinking that we do the 3x3 matrix evaluation 4 times but where do I begin.

Never mind. I factored it out completed and with subtraction of equations I came up with a line of all 0's so there is no determinant. I entered it wrong above. That can't be right. What I have left is this.

1 0 -1 -3
0 1 0 0
0 0 0 1
0 0 0 0

Am I reading this right?

Carnap said:
Using row exchanges and factoring I came up with the following matrix.

1 2 -1 -1
1 3 1 2
0 0 0 1
-1 2 1 24

The example you gave me showed doing the pivot on a 3x3. Where do I pivot on the 4x4?

I was thinking that we do the 3x3 matrix evaluation 4 times but where do I begin.

Yes, you do the 3x3 four times, except you don't have to evaluate the 3x3 four times, because if you are running along the third row three of the 3x3 matrices will have a zero factor in front. If you reduced to matrix to get a full row of zeros, that's certainly wrong. The determinant of the matrix isn't zero.

Do I base the 3x3 matrices based on using the top of each column for the multiplier?

Carnap said:
Do I base the 3x3 matrices based on using the top of each column for the multiplier?

The multipliers are the elements of the row you are using to expand.

I tried that on the row with mostly 0's to simplify the problem but my answer came up wrong. Could you post step by step how to do it. You don't need to do the actual calculation, just the steps. I want to understand the concept, not necessarily the answer. Perhaps with the original matrix.

Last edited:
Carnap said:
I tried that on the row with mostly 0's to simplify the problem but my answer came up wrong. Could you post step by step how to do it. You don't need to do the actual calculation, just the steps. I want to understand the concept, not necessarily the answer.

You need to show your wrong calculation in detail. We can't figure out what are doing wrong until you show us what it is.

Dick said:
You need to show your wrong calculation in detail. We can't figure out what are doing wrong until you show us what it is.

I figured it out. I went ahead and reread the material for a third and worked out exactly what they had for an example and I saw exactly were I was going wrong. I think I was trying to combine row interactions with factoring of columns. I am reading now how I can do it with any row or any column. Thank you for the help.

1. What is the definition of the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is a mathematical value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is used to determine if the matrix has a unique solution and to find the area or volume of a parallelogram or parallelepiped.

2. How is the determinant of a 4x4 matrix calculated?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix can be calculated using the Laplace expansion method or by using the Sarrus method. The Laplace expansion method involves recursively calculating determinants of smaller matrices, while the Sarrus method relies on a specific pattern of multiplication and addition.

3. What is the significance of the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is significant because it can be used to determine if a matrix has a unique solution, and it can also be used to find the area or volume of a parallelogram or parallelepiped. It is also used in multivariable calculus to calculate partial derivatives.

4. How does changing the elements of a 4x4 matrix affect its determinant?

Changing the elements of a 4x4 matrix can have a significant effect on its determinant. If the elements are multiplied by a constant, the determinant will also be multiplied by that constant. Swapping two rows or columns will result in the determinant being multiplied by -1. Other operations such as adding or subtracting rows or columns will also affect the determinant.

5. Can the determinant of a 4x4 matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 4x4 matrix can be negative. The determinant can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the values of the elements in the matrix. The sign of the determinant is determined by the pattern of the elements, and it is not always possible to predict the sign of the determinant without actually calculating it.