Neuroscientist says PSAT score related to simple arithmetic skills

In summary, the people who did better on the PSAT used the fact-driven part of their brain, while the people who did poorly used the quantity-driven part of their brain.
fourier jr
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIjMIo8Lsrw

Do I have this right? It sounds like the people who didn't do so well on the PSAT, who used their right brain, "overthought" the simple arithmetic problems, by using the (subjective?) quantity-related part of their brain. the students who did better used the fact-retrieval department.

Biology news on Phys.org
Pretty interesting. I have never taken a PSAT. Is it more about plugging and chugging equations or conceptually hard problems?

Last edited:
tahayassen said:
Pretty interesting. I have never taken a PSAT. Is it more about plugging and chugging equations or conceptually hard problems?

Basically the same as the SAT. There will be some word problems that involve basic algebra, some basic geometry, etc.

Jamin2112 said:
Basically the same as the SAT. There will be some word problems that involve basic algebra, some basic geometry, etc.

I've never taken a SAT either. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that people who use the quantity part of their brain are looking for numbers to plug into equations while people using the fact-driven part of their brain are trying to solve the problem.

tahayassen said:
I've never taken a SAT either. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that people who use the quantity part of their brain are looking for numbers to plug into equations while people using the fact-driven part of their brain are trying to solve the problem.
I think it's the opposite. The people who accessed the left hemisphere area he mentioned were simply recalling the previously learned fact that 7-3=4, while those who accessed the right brain area that processes matters of quantity were the ones who were actually trying to figure out the difference between the two quantities, 7 and 3 from scratch. The latter is much more time and energy consuming.

It sounds to me like the moral is: the people who do better on the PSAT would be those who don't have to re-invent the wheel each time a wheel is called for. They just pull one off the shelf.

I assume the SAT is something like an IQ test? I always found that I went really slowly with a lot of them because I was trying out lots of possible ways of solving it, but I assume that being able to know automatically which way is right way is related to IQ. I mean IQ is the thing that an IQ test measures... If the PSAT is something completely different then disregard this, obviously!

What is a neuroscientist?

A neuroscientist is a scientist who studies the nervous system, including the brain, spinal cord, and nerves, to better understand how it functions and how it affects behavior and cognition.

How is a neuroscientist qualified to make claims about PSAT scores?

Neuroscientists often have backgrounds in psychology, biology, and other related fields, giving them the expertise to study and analyze cognitive abilities, such as arithmetic skills, that may impact academic performance.

What does the research say about the relationship between PSAT scores and arithmetic skills?

Research has shown that there is a positive correlation between PSAT scores and basic arithmetic skills, meaning that as one's arithmetic skills improve, their PSAT scores are likely to improve as well.

Are there other factors besides arithmetic skills that can impact PSAT scores?

Yes, there are many other factors that can affect PSAT scores, such as reading comprehension, critical thinking skills, test-taking strategies, and overall academic preparedness. It is important to consider all of these factors when analyzing a student's PSAT scores.

What implications does this research have for educators and students?

This research suggests that educators should focus on developing students' basic arithmetic skills in order to improve their PSAT scores. Students can also benefit from practicing and strengthening their arithmetic skills, as it can have a positive impact on their academic performance.