Understanding the Relationship Between Dripping Rate and Water Clock Design

In summary, you are trying to find the differential dy/dt=-k(...pg)y(t) where "y(t)" is y as a function of t.
That Neuron
Okay, this is a really simple question, so to anyone looking for some extraordinarily complex differential equation question turn away now, or be blinded by boredom.

My query is rooted in a question I had about building a water clock... so seemingly relevant to Differentials, I know. Anyways, I realized that the rate of dripping (though probably much more complex than a proportionality) was at simplest proportional to the height, or at least related to it.

Anyway, I was thinking that if the rate of change of the height is proportional to the pressure on the hole at the bottom out of which water drips (or pours) then I could create the differential dy/dt = -k (πr2 pg y(t), where p is equal to the density and g is the acceleration due to gravity, this equation translates to y = y(0) e-kπr2pgt.

But this function seems to decline too steeply for this application, am I doing this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
That Neuron said:
Okay, this is a really simple question, so to anyone looking for some extraordinarily complex differential equation question turn away now, or be blinded by boredom.

My query is rooted in a question I had about building a water clock... so seemingly relevant to Differentials, I know. Anyways, I realized that the rate of dripping (though probably much more complex than a proportionality) was at simplest proportional to the height, or at least related to it.

Anyway, I was thinking that if the rate of change of the height is proportional to the pressure on the hole at the bottom out of which water drips (or pours) then I could create the differential dy/dt = -k (πr2 pg y(t), where p is equal to the density and g is the acceleration due to gravity, this equation translates to y = y(0) e-kπr2pgt.

But this function seems to decline too steeply for this application, am I doing this right?

Is you're equation dy/dt=-k(...pg)y(t) where "y(t)" is y as a function of t. or the variable y times the variable t?

Oh, no y is a function of t!

Not the height!

I actually think that I found the correct function simply by playing around with the constant k. Let me revisit this!

1. What is simple natural decay?

Simple natural decay is the process by which a substance breaks down or decomposes into simpler components over time, through natural chemical or biological processes.

2. How does simple natural decay occur?

Simple natural decay can occur through various mechanisms such as chemical reactions, microbial activity, and physical processes like weathering and erosion. These processes can break down molecules and release energy, leading to the breakdown of larger substances into simpler forms.

3. What factors affect the rate of simple natural decay?

The rate of simple natural decay can be influenced by several factors including temperature, moisture, oxygen levels, pH, and the presence of microorganisms. These factors can either promote or inhibit decay, depending on the specific substance and environment.

4. What are some examples of simple natural decay?

Examples of simple natural decay include the decomposition of organic matter such as plants and animals, the rusting of iron, and the breakdown of rocks and minerals through weathering processes. Decay also plays a critical role in nutrient cycling in ecosystems.

5. How does simple natural decay impact the environment?

Simple natural decay plays a crucial role in maintaining the balance of nutrients and energy in the environment. It also helps to recycle essential elements and compounds, making them available for use by living organisms. However, excessive decay can also lead to negative impacts such as soil erosion and pollution of water sources.