Register to reply

Safe Combination Possibilities

by willr12
Tags: combination, possibilities, safe
Share this thread:
willr12
Aug28-14, 05:33 PM
P: 2
I am a 15 year old who is obsessed with math....anyway, I developed an equation dealing with safe combination possibilities. For example, if you have a safe with 5 digits, and you know there is (for example) a 4 and an 8 in the combination. You aren't sure which position they are in, and they can be rearranged in all different ways. How many possible combinations are there?
The equation i came up with was as follows:
When y=total digits in the sequence and x=number of digits known,
10^(y-x)y!/(y-x)!
will give you the answer. When you know all the digits, that's the same as saying "how many different ways can n items be arranged?" We all know that can be represented by n!, and this equation satisfies that. When you know all the numbers, 10^(y-x) will cancel to 10^0, since x and y are equal. And on the bottom, (y-x)! will cancel to 0!, which again is 1. Therefore you are left with y!.
Also, if you know 0 of the numbers, the equation is simply 10^y, and this equation satisfies that as well. When the amount of digits you know (x) is zero, the 10^(y-x) cancels to 10^y and the bottom ((y-x)!) cancels to y!. There is also a y! on the top, so those cancel out and you are simply left with 10^y.
So, let's say a friend hands you their phone. While trying to deduce their password, they tell you that their 4-number combination contains a 3, a 6 and a 7. How many combinations are there?
10^(y-x)y!/(y-x)!
10^(4-3)4!/(4-3)!
10^1(24)/1!
240/1
=240 possible combinations
I'm not exactly a professional mathematician (at all) but I just wanted some feedback. Are there any flaws?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
WWGD
Aug28-14, 06:26 PM
P: 643
Quote Quote by willr12 View Post
I am a 15 year old who is obsessed with math....anyway, I developed an equation dealing with safe combination possibilities. For example, if you have a safe with 5 digits, and you know there is (for example) a 4 and an 8 in the combination. You aren't sure which position they are in, and they can be rearranged in all different ways. How many possible combinations are there?
The equation i came up with was as follows:
When y=total digits in the sequence and x=number of digits known,
10^(y-x)y!/(y-x)!
will give you the answer. When you know all the digits, that's the same as saying "how many different ways can n items be arranged?" We all know that can be represented by n!, and this equation satisfies that. When you know all the numbers, 10^(y-x) will cancel to 10^0, since x and y are equal. And on the bottom, (y-x)! will cancel to 0!, which again is 1. Therefore you are left with y!.
Also, if you know 0 of the numbers, the equation is simply 10^y, and this equation satisfies that as well. When the amount of digits you know (x) is zero, the 10^(y-x) cancels to 10^y and the bottom ((y-x)!) cancels to y!. There is also a y! on the top, so those cancel out and you are simply left with 10^y.
So, let's say a friend hands you their phone. While trying to deduce their password, they tell you that their 4-number combination contains a 3, a 6 and a 7. How many combinations are there?
10^(y-x)y!/(y-x)!
10^(4-3)4!/(4-3)!
10^1(24)/1!
240/1
=240 possible combinations
I'm not exactly a professional mathematician (at all) but I just wanted some feedback. Are there any flaws?
You're 15 and still not a professional mathematician ? Get of the couch and go do something useful with your life : ) !!!

For the 4-number code, another way, just notice that the 4th number can be any of 0,1,2,...,9 , and can be put in either in 1st, 2nd,etc. and then the other 3 numbers can be permuted, also giving 240 as result, if I understood the rules correctly.

For the first, there are 5C2 ways of choosing the spots for the 4,8 , and for each of these,then the numbers in the other spots can be permutted in any way.
WWGD
Aug28-14, 08:23 PM
P: 643
Note that my first comment is just a joke.

willr12
Aug28-14, 08:24 PM
P: 2
Safe Combination Possibilities

Quote Quote by WWGD View Post
Note that my first comment is just a joke.

Hahah I know:)

Register to reply