Longer conduit Impedes flow? What?

• Thread starter bobrsanchez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the book discusses equations for thermal, fluid, and electricity flow and mentions that a thicker conduit allows for greater flow due to its larger diameter. However, it also states that a longer conduit impedes flow due to increased resistance caused by friction. This is similar to the concept of resistors in electrical transmission lines. Piping tables are often used to calculate pressure losses in cooling systems.
bobrsanchez
Hi all,

I am studying for the MCAT and a section in the book lists the equations

dT= IR
dP=QR
dV=iR

For thermal, fluid, and electricity flow respectively. It then goes to state that a thicker conduit allows for greater flow. That part makes sense to me because a larger diameter pipe has relatively more volume compared to its surface area, which gives it relatively less resistance compared to a pipe that has a smaller diameter.

However, it then goes to say that a "LONGER conduit impedes flow". This part I don't get because I can't see how a longer pipe would in any way increase resistance or slow down the flow rate. For example, wouldn't a 1m pipe of 5m diameter have the same flow rate as a 100m pipe with a diameter of 5 if the pressure difference between two openings of both pipes were equal?

Is my book BSing me right now??

Physics news on Phys.org
bobrsanchez said:
Is my book BSing me right now??

I don't think so as there is flow resistance/friction in any real piping system that increases with length so you can't expect the pressure to be the same at both ends for all flow rates just like you can't expect the voltage to be the same on both ends of a resistive electrical transmission line under load as the length increases.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy–Weisbach_equation

We normally use piping tables to calculate pressure losses with cooling systems on the job.

Last edited:
I see.

Edit: nvm you are correct. I had forgotten that length of resistors are a factor in determining resistance. Oops

What is a conduit?

A conduit is a pipe or channel that is used to transport something, such as water, electricity, or information.

How does a longer conduit impede flow?

A longer conduit can impede flow because it increases the distance that the substance or energy must travel, which can result in more friction and resistance, slowing down the flow.

What factors can affect the flow rate of a longer conduit?

The flow rate of a longer conduit can be affected by various factors such as the diameter of the conduit, the material it is made of, and any obstructions or bends in the conduit.

Can a longer conduit be beneficial in certain situations?

Yes, a longer conduit can be beneficial in certain situations where a slower flow rate is desirable, such as in irrigation systems or in heat exchange systems.

How can the negative effects of a longer conduit be minimized?

The negative effects of a longer conduit can be minimized by using a larger diameter conduit, choosing a smooth material with low friction, and reducing any obstructions or bends in the conduit's path.