Shear/Bending Diagram Question

• Thread starter markow202
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in a statics class where the task is to draw the shear and bending diagram for a beam with a reaction pushing down on the top/middle and A and B on each side, but no forces pushing up on either side are shown. The question asks if there should be a force acting down in the middle of the beam and if not, how to determine the reactions at A and B. The solution depends on whether the load is in the middle or slightly offset, and if it is offset, moments must be taken to determine the exact values of RA and RB. The conversation also mentions using "code" tags to make the diagram clearer.
markow202
Hi everyone,

I have a problem question in my statics class and one problem askes to draw the shear and bending diagram for the problem.

It shows the beam ------------------------ with the reaction pushing down on the top/middle of it and A and B on each side but shows no forces pushing up on each side which I am stuck on.

-------------------------
A B
^ ^
| |
| |
| ? |?

Every other example in the book shows forces pushing up on A/B but not the questions.

If it showed them I wouldn't be stuck...what do I have to do in this case?

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If you wrap "code" tags around your "diagram" (in the post/editing area) then it will show up better.

Question:Is there a force (load) acting down in the middle of the beam AB ? Or is it slightly offset from the centre ?

If it's in the middle, then the reactions at A and B are: RA = W/2 and RB = W/2.

If it's slightly offset, then you will have to take moments about A, or B, to determine the exact value of RA and RB.

Well if there's a load on the beam and A and B are labeled but no forces are shown... there better be forces at A and B or this isn't statics my friend!

Last edited:

1. What is a shear and bending diagram?

A shear and bending diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces and moments acting on a structural element, such as a beam or column. It shows the magnitude and direction of the shear force and bending moment at different points along the length of the element.

2. What is the purpose of a shear and bending diagram?

The purpose of a shear and bending diagram is to help engineers and designers understand the behavior of a structural element under different loading conditions. It can also be used to determine the strength and stability of the element and to identify potential areas of failure.

3. How is a shear and bending diagram created?

A shear and bending diagram is created by using the principles of statics and mechanics of materials. The external loads and supports on the structural element are first determined, and then the internal forces and moments are calculated using equations and diagrams. These values are then plotted on the diagram to show the distribution of shear and bending along the element.

4. What factors affect the shape of a shear and bending diagram?

The shape of a shear and bending diagram is affected by the type and magnitude of external loads, the geometry and material properties of the structural element, and the boundary conditions and supports. Any changes in these factors can result in a different shape of the diagram.

5. How is a shear and bending diagram used in structural analysis and design?

A shear and bending diagram is an essential tool in structural analysis and design. It allows engineers to determine the maximum stresses and deflections in a structural element and ensure that it can withstand the expected loads. The diagram is also used to optimize the design and select the appropriate size and materials for the element.