Has anyone seen this scalar?

• Thread starter joschu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scalar
In summary, the conversation discusses a scalar quantity that is a function of the Ricci tensor and scalar, and its integral over a compact manifold. It is identified as the second principal-invariant of the Ricci tensor and has a geometric interpretation in Einstein's equations. The original poster is interested in its properties and its relationship to a specific area of study involving supermanifolds.
joschu
In my calculations, I come across the scalar
[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2[/tex]
([tex]R_{ij}[/tex] is the Ricci tensor, [tex]R[/tex] is the Ricci scalar)
More specifically, I come across the integral of this scalar over a compact manifold.
Has anyone seen it before, and does it have any nice properties?

John Schulman

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me...
Up to a constant factor, that scalar is the second principal-invariant of the Ricci tensor. It is proportional to the second elementary symmetric function of its eigenvalues. How does it arise? (I've been interested in this invariant [not necessarily for Ricci] and have been searching for a geometrical interpretation [and physical interpretation] for it.)

Last edited:
joschu said:
In my calculations, I come across the scalar
[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2[/tex]
([tex]R_{ij}[/tex] is the Ricci tensor, [tex]R[/tex] is the Ricci scalar)
More specifically, I come across the integral of this scalar over a compact manifold.
Has anyone seen it before, and does it have any nice properties?

John Schulman
Since

[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} = R[/tex]

it follows that

[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2 = R - R^2 = R(1 - R)[/tex]

That's about all I can see about it.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Since

[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} = R[/tex]

it follows that

[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2 = R - R^2 = R(1 - R)[/tex]

That's about all I can see about it.

Pete

No. [itex]R=R_{ij} g^{ij}[/itex]. The Ricci scalar has units, by the way...

I have no idea if the original poster is looking for a purely mathematical answer or not, but if Einstein's equations hold, and you have a perfect fluid with density [itex]\rho[/itex] and pressure [itex]p[/itex], that scalar is proportional to [itex]p(\rho-p)[/itex]. Normally, [itex]\rho \gg p[/itex], so the square root of your scalar is basically a geometric average of the density and pressure.

In my earlier post, I was too lazy to write
[tex]R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2=2R^i{}_{[j}R^j{}_{i]}[/tex],
where I've used the metric to raise and lower indices.

Thanks for the responses, especially robphy. I'll do a little research about the eigenvalues of [tex]R^{i}_j[/tex].

Here's how I came across this quantity:
I'm working in a rather specific area: I'm studying the relationship between the curvature of a Kahler supermanifold with the curvature of the underlying complex manifold.
I found that if a supermanifold with two "fermionic" dimensions satisfies [tex]R=0[/tex] then there's a scalar differential equation with some curvature tensors that the underlying complex "bosonic" manifold must satisfy. This equation has a bunch of terms in it, but if we take the integral of the expression over a compact manifold, we get
[tex]\int (R^{ji} R_{ij} - R^2) dV=0[/tex]

Here's the consequence of this calculation that interests me:
If I can find a complex manifold where the above integral CAN'T equal zero regardless of metric, it is likely that I will be able to disprove a certain conjecture concerning Yau's theorem generalized to supermanifolds. Unfortunately, I don't know if such a manifold exists.

1. What is a scalar?

A scalar is a physical quantity that can be completely described by a single number or value, such as mass, temperature, or energy.

2. How is a scalar different from a vector?

A vector is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. For example, velocity is a vector quantity because it has both speed and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity because it only has magnitude.

3. Why is the existence of a scalar important?

The existence of a scalar is important because it helps us to describe and understand physical phenomena in a simpler and more straightforward way. Scalars also play a crucial role in mathematical calculations and equations.

4. Can you give an example of a scalar?

Yes, some examples of scalars include time, mass, temperature, distance, and energy. These are all physical quantities that can be described by a single value without considering any direction.

5. How do scientists study or measure scalars?

Scientists use various methods and tools to study and measure scalars, depending on the specific quantity being studied. For example, time can be measured using a clock, mass can be measured using a balance scale, and temperature can be measured using a thermometer.