Derivation Help for Homework Problem | Solving Vc(t) Equations | 5V Square Wave

• Thread starter frankkk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary, the conversation is about solving a homework problem that involves finding the capacitor voltage for a square wave with a 50% duty cycle. The initial equation given is Vc(t) = 5(1-e^(-t/T)), and the goal is to end up with two equations. The first equation is Vc(t) = 5 - (5 / 1+e^(-1/2*f * T)) * e^(-t/T), and the second is Vc(t) = (5 / 1+e^(-1/2*f * T)) * e^(-t/T). The conversation also includes a reminder to post homework problems in the designated forum and to show initial work in order to
frankkk
I am trying to solve a homework problem. I need some help to get going in the right direction if possible. My equation I am starting with is:

Vc(t) = 5(1-e^(-t/T))

and I have to end up with these two equations:
If T > 1/10f then for a 5 V square wave with a 50% duty cycle, the capacitor voltage is given by

Vc(t) = 5 - (5 / 1+e^(-1/2*f * T)) * e^(-t/T)

and

Vc(t) = (5 / 1+e^(-1/2*f * T)) * e^(-t/T)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Frank. Homework problems are supposed to be posted in the PF Homework forum area, and you need to show your initial work in order for us to help you. We're happy to help, we just need to be sure that you do the bulk of the work, and learn from the exercise.

This thread may get moved by the moderators, or you could start a new thread in one of the homework forums, or you could see if it is allowed to stay here and we just follow the homework forum guidelines here.

So to get you started, I don't quite understand the problem statement. How can Vc(t) be equal to three different things? Is maybe Vc(t) a forcing function, and you are asked to find some kind of circuit response from the forcing function through some source impedance?

Try cleaning up the equations some or describing what is going on, and then show us what your first few steps are in trying to solve the problem. We can offer hints at that point.

To solve this problem, we can start by breaking down the given equation for Vc(t) into smaller parts. Let's first focus on the term (1-e^(-t/T)). This term represents the voltage across the capacitor at any given time t. Now, let's look at the given conditions for the problem - a 5V square wave with a 50% duty cycle and a time period of T > 1/10f.

We know that a square wave with a 50% duty cycle has equal high and low voltage periods. In this case, the high voltage period is 5V and the low voltage period is 0V. We can represent this using the Heaviside function:

H(t) = 1 for t > 0 and H(t) = 0 for t < 0

Multiplying this function with our original equation, we can get the following expression for Vc(t):

Vc(t) = 5*H(t) - (5*H(t) / 1+e^(-t/T))

Next, we can use the fact that T > 1/10f to simplify the equation further. This condition implies that the time constant T is much larger than the period of the square wave, which means that the exponential term e^(-t/T) will be very close to 0 during the high voltage period. Therefore, we can simplify the equation to:

Vc(t) = 5*H(t) - (5*H(t) / 1+0)

Vc(t) = 5*H(t) - 5*H(t)

Vc(t) = 0 for t > 0

This equation satisfies the condition for the high voltage period, but we still need to consider the low voltage period. During this period, the exponential term e^(-t/T) will be close to 1, which means that the voltage across the capacitor will be close to 5V. We can represent this using another Heaviside function, but with a negative argument:

H(-t) = 1 for t < 0 and H(-t) = 0 for t > 0

Multiplying this function with our original equation, we can get the following expression for Vc(t):

Vc(t) = 5*H(-t) - (5*H(-t) / 1+e^(-t/T))

Again

1. What is a derivation?

A derivation is a step-by-step process of reasoning or deduction used in mathematics and science to reach a conclusion or solution.

2. Why do I need help with a derivation?

Derivations can be complex and require a thorough understanding of mathematical and scientific principles. Seeking help can aid in understanding and completing the derivation accurately.

3. How do I approach a derivation?

To approach a derivation, it is important to first understand the problem or concept being studied and have a solid foundation in the relevant mathematical and scientific principles. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and use logical reasoning to reach a solution.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid in a derivation?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a derivation include incorrect use of mathematical or scientific principles, skipping steps or making assumptions without proper justification, and not checking for errors or inconsistencies.

5. Can I use a derivation as evidence in my scientific research?

Yes, derivations are an important part of scientific research as they provide a logical and well-supported explanation for observed phenomena. However, it is important to properly cite and credit the derivation to its original source.