Can someone help me with this question, is very complicated

• Thread starter Aleksandar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of atoms and molecules and how the behavior of oil on water supports this idea. By assuming that the oil slick is one molecule thick, with molecules touching and being spheres, an estimate is made for the size of an oil molecule by calculating the number of molecules in a given area and dividing it by the area occupied by one molecule. The final answer is 2.723x10^15 cm^2, which represents the size of one oil molecule.
Aleksandar
The question says:
Suppose that oil consists of molecules of CH2. This means that 1 mol of oil, consisting of 6.02x10^23 molecules, has a mass of 14g. One mililiter of oil has a mass of of 0.95g. When this much oil is poured on water, it does not spread forever but spreads unti it makes a circular film of area 1.5x10^7 cm^2. How does the fact that the oil does not spread forever support the idea of atoms and molecules? Assuming that the oil slick is one molecule thick, with the molecules touching, and the molecules are spheres, ESTIMATE THE SIZE OF AN OIL MOLECULE.

PLEASE HELP! I need answer of the question, as well as how to get to the answer.

Thank you guys in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Aleksandar said:
The question says:
Suppose that oil consists of molecules of CH2. This means that 1 mol of oil, consisting of 6.02x10^23 molecules, has a mass of 14g. One mililiter of oil has a mass of of 0.95g. When this much oil is poured on water, it does not spread forever but spreads unti it makes a circular film of area 1.5x10^7 cm^2. How does the fact that the oil does not spread forever support the idea of atoms and molecules? Assuming that the oil slick is one molecule thick, with the molecules touching, and the molecules are spheres, ESTIMATE THE SIZE OF AN OIL MOLECULE.

PLEASE HELP! I need answer of the question, as well as how to get to the answer.

Thank you guys in advance
How many molecules are in the 1ml oil film? What is the no. of molecules/unit area? What is the area occupied by one molecule?

AM

That is the question. I don't know, it wasn't stated in the question.

Aleksandar said:
That is the question. I don't know, it wasn't stated in the question.
?? You are expected to figure it out! Just ask yourself the first two questions I posed: 1. how many molecules in .95 grams (ie. .95/14 moles)? That is the number of molecules spread over the given area. 2. How many molecules per unit area? (divide the answer in 1. by the area)

AM

Well, I got 4.085x10^22 molecules, and when I divided with the area, I got 2.723x10^15. Is that my final answer??

Aleksandar said:
Well, I got 4.085x10^22 molecules, and when I divided with the area, I got 2.723x10^15. Is that my final answer??
What does your answer mean? You have to actually apply some independent thinking to the question! If that many molecules take up that much area, how much does one take up?

AM

1. How can I find someone to help me with a complicated question in my field of study?

There are a few ways to find someone to help you with a complicated question in your field of study. You can reach out to professors or colleagues who have expertise in the subject matter, join online forums or discussion groups related to your field, or seek assistance from professionals or tutors.

2. What should I do if I can't find anyone to help me with my question?

If you are unable to find someone to help you with your question, you can try breaking it down into smaller, more specific questions and conducting your own research. You can also reach out to experts in related fields who may be able to provide some insight.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with a complicated question?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask for help with a complicated question. In fact, seeking help and collaborating with others is a common practice in the scientific community. It can lead to new insights and perspectives that may not have been considered before.

4. How can I ensure that the person helping me understands the question and provides accurate information?

To ensure that the person helping you understands the question and provides accurate information, it is important to clearly communicate your question and any relevant background information. You can also ask for references or sources to support their answer and verify their expertise in the subject matter.

5. How do I know if the person helping me is giving me biased information?

It is always important to critically evaluate the information provided by others, especially when it comes to complex and controversial topics. If you are unsure about the objectivity of the person helping you, you can seek multiple opinions and do your own research to verify the information. It is also helpful to consider the credentials and potential biases of the person providing the information.