HS setting: Mathematica vs Maple vs?

In summary, both Maple and Mathematica are very capable packages with many features in common. However, Maple looks nicer and may be more user-friendly for students. If you are looking for a software package to use in your classes, Mathematica is a good choice.
drpizza
I'm wondering what your opinions are concerning Mathematica and Maple. I'm about to order one or the other for my calculus class (in a high school, college credit/level class). I'm anticipating on getting students at least somewhat familiar with what software will do. I'm also planning on using the software to help model problems for algebra/geometry.

I used Mathematica frequently and was very familiar with it about 6-8 years ago, but haven't spent much time on it since.

Because I was "brought up on" Mathematica, it tends to skew my opinion. I've never even touched Maple. However, I'm asking - is my familiarity with mathematica enough to make it the software of choice for my classes? Or would perhaps Maple or some other package be better? (Resulting in some sort of learning curve for me - not that I'm afraid to learn it; but I don't hesitate to believe I can create a ton of animations that would facilitate my lower ability math students gaining some conceptual understanding of what most of us would probably consider simple topics.)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The only advantage of Maple over Mathematica is that the default look of Maple is prettier. If you wanted something that the students could use, try MathCAD (prettier then Maple, slightly less functionalality for simpler interface). If you are interested in doing presentations for the students, use Mathematica because, if for no other reason then that your old knowledge is not obsolete.

Not the only advantage

Crosson said:
The only advantage of Maple over Mathematica is that the default look of Maple is prettier. If you wanted something that the students could use, try MathCAD (prettier then Maple, slightly less functionalality for simpler interface). If you are interested in doing presentations for the students, use Mathematica because, if for no other reason then that your old knowledge is not obsolete.

Maple and Mathematica are "serious competitors", in the sense that either is favored by particular considerations. Many researchers do seem to prefer Mathematica because (at least in my experience) it can produce slicker looking embedded postscript figures for inclusion in papers. OTH, Maple syntax is IMO much easier to remember and less "clunky" that Mathematica (although Maple is not without oddities of its own), in part because its syntax is generally closer to other languages your students might have encountered, and this might be a more important criterion for you.

Both systems share may common features which are useful for students and teachers (as well as researchers), like "notebooks". Both are extremely capable, offering powerful computational techniques for symbolic integration, solution of (systems of) (partial/ordinary) differential equations, linear algebra, and more advanced topics like computing directly with ideals or geometric objects (tensor calculus).

Obviously, I realize that few HS students will be interested in those topics right now, but in a few years this might change! Also, Maple (and, I imagine, Mathematica) does offer some interesting things which can be grasped by HS students, like Sturm's method for determining the disposition of the real roots of polynomials (as accurately as desired, by "trapping" them inside specified intervals).

For more advanced readers facing the same choice: another thing to consider is what packages are available for Mathematica and Maple. Depending on your interests, this could make your choice a "no brainer".

Last edited:

What is the difference between Mathematica and Maple?

Mathematica and Maple are both computer algebra systems used for mathematical computations, but they have different programming languages and user interfaces. Mathematica uses the Wolfram Language, while Maple uses its own programming language. Mathematica also has a more user-friendly interface, while Maple has a steeper learning curve.

Which one is better for high school students - Mathematica or Maple?

Both Mathematica and Maple have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it ultimately depends on the specific needs and preferences of the high school student. Mathematica may be more suitable for students who are new to programming and want a user-friendly interface, while Maple may be better for students who want a more challenging and in-depth mathematical experience.

Can you use both Mathematica and Maple for high school math courses?

Yes, both Mathematica and Maple can be used for high school math courses. They both have a wide range of features and capabilities that can support various math topics such as algebra, calculus, and geometry. Many high schools use either one or both of these programs in their math curriculum.

Which one is more widely used in the scientific community - Mathematica or Maple?

Both Mathematica and Maple are widely used in the scientific community for mathematical and scientific computations. Mathematica may be more popular in certain fields such as physics and engineering, while Maple may be more commonly used in fields like mathematics and computer science. Ultimately, both programs have a strong presence in the scientific community.

Are there any free alternatives to Mathematica and Maple?

Yes, there are some free alternatives to Mathematica and Maple such as Maxima, SageMath, and SymPy. These programs have similar features and capabilities to Mathematica and Maple, but they may have a steeper learning curve and may not have as user-friendly interfaces. However, they can still be valuable tools for high school students learning math and science.