Calculate Resulting Pressure of Mixed Gases in 12L Vessel

In summary, the resulting pressure when the listed quantities of gases are mixed in a 12 L vessel at constant temperature is 2.0 atm. This can be calculated by using the perfect gas law or by converting all components to volumes at 1 atm and then compressing to the desired volume. Both methods should yield the same result.
oceanflavored

Homework Statement

What is the resulting pressure when the quantities of gases listed below
are mixed and placed in a 12 L vessel at constant temperature?
4.0 L Ne measured @ 2.0 atm
2.0 L He measured @ 3.0 atm
2.0 L Ar measured @ 5.0 atm

Homework Equations

P1V1=P2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is 2.0 atm.and i have no clue how they figured that out.
because i tried to do it by the above equation. and that definitely did not work out.and then i tried adding up the initial volumes:8 L and the initial temperatures:10 atm.and that didn't work either.so basically;i need helpp.
and hopefully.before tuesday morning.because that's when my ap chem test is. which is why you see me here posting all these questions.

thanks a lot physicsforum people.you guys seriously save my life these days :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One method: calculate the number of mole of each component, add up, use the perfect gas law for the desired volume.

Second method: convert all components as volumes for 1 atm, add up the volumes still at 1 atm, compress to the desired volume. (this method is the same as the previous one, but moles are replaced by "standard volume").

Dear student,

To calculate the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel, we can use the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its volume and the number of moles present, and inversely proportional to its temperature.

In this problem, we have three different gases: Ne, He, and Ar. Each gas has a different volume and pressure, but the temperature is constant. To find the resulting pressure, we need to calculate the total number of moles of gas present in the 12L vessel.

First, we need to convert the volumes of each gas to moles using the ideal gas law: n = PV/RT, where n is the number of moles, P is the pressure, V is the volume, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature. Plugging in the values for each gas, we get:

nNe = (2.0 atm)(4.0 L) / (0.0821 L atm/mol K)(T) = 0.097 mol Ne
nHe = (3.0 atm)(2.0 L) / (0.0821 L atm/mol K)(T) = 0.073 mol He
nAr = (5.0 atm)(2.0 L) / (0.0821 L atm/mol K)(T) = 0.121 mol Ar

Next, we add up the total number of moles: nTotal = 0.097 mol + 0.073 mol + 0.121 mol = 0.291 mol.

Finally, we can calculate the resulting pressure using the ideal gas law: PTotal = nTotalRT/V = (0.291 mol)(0.0821 L atm/mol K)(T)/(12 L) = 0.166 atm.

Therefore, the resulting pressure of the mixed gases in the 12L vessel is 0.166 atm. I hope this helps you understand how to solve this type of problem. Good luck on your test!

1. How do you calculate the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel?

The resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is equal to the product of its volume, number of moles, and temperature, divided by the universal gas constant. In this case, the resulting pressure would be the sum of the individual partial pressures of each gas in the mixture.

2. What factors influence the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel?

The resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel is influenced by several factors, including the individual partial pressures of each gas, the volume of the vessel, and the temperature of the gases. The number of moles of each gas present in the mixture also plays a role in determining the resulting pressure.

3. Can the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel ever be lower than the individual partial pressures?

No, the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel can never be lower than the individual partial pressures. This is due to Dalton's law of partial pressures, which states that the total pressure of a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas in the mixture. Therefore, the resulting pressure will always be equal to or greater than the individual partial pressures.

4. How does the temperature affect the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel?

The temperature has a direct effect on the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel. As the temperature of the gases increases, the kinetic energy of the gas molecules also increases, causing them to collide more frequently and with more force, resulting in an increase in pressure. Conversely, decreasing the temperature will result in a decrease in pressure.

5. Can the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel ever exceed the individual partial pressures?

Yes, the resulting pressure of mixed gases in a 12L vessel can exceed the individual partial pressures. This can occur when the gases in the mixture have different molecular weights and therefore contribute differently to the overall pressure. In this case, the resulting pressure will be determined by the gas with the highest molecular weight, which may be greater than the sum of the individual partial pressures.