Why the direction of the current is determined by which way you move the magnet

In summary, the direction of the current is determined by which way you move the magnet through the coil.
scientist91
why the direction of the current is determined by which way you move the magnet through the coil?

Physics news on Phys.org
because there is a negative sign in faraday's law

ice109 said:
because there is a negative sign in faraday's law
explain deeper please. Thank you.

i almost started to use swear language.

so what the fsck do you want?

hm?

there are the graphs, showing the current vs time.
and formulas are neccesary.
what do you want to undertand, if you are not familiar with the basics?

mcstar said:
so what the fsck do you want?

hm?

there are the graphs, showing the current vs time.
and formulas are neccesary.
what do you want to undertand, if you are not familiar with the basics?
I am interested about the electrons. I don't need equations.

In my imagination (without any formulas or graphs), thing can be like this. Electrons move and create magnetic field. The direction of the field is always perpendicular to the direction of the electron, and let say to the right. It is something like when you run, you hold a board which is 45 degrees off the running derection and facing to the right. then you always create wind to your right hand.
When you have a moving magnetic field, the electron would move so that it creates a M. fiedl that is opposite to the applying magnetic field. And so its moving direction depends on the direction of the field.

because the current has to oppose the change in flux
because of conservation of energy and i quote from my intro physics book

"Think what would happen if Lenz's law were turned the other way around, that is, if the induced current acted to aid the change that produced it. You would then need to push a stationary magnet only slightly to get it moving, and the action would be self perpetuating..."

and mcstar's explanation is very good.

1. Why does the direction of the current change when you move the magnet?

The direction of the current is determined by the Lorentz force, which describes the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric and magnetic field. When a magnet is moved near a wire, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces an electric field in the wire. This electric field then exerts a force on the charged particles in the wire, causing them to move and creating an electric current.

2. Does the direction of the current always change when a magnet is moved?

Yes, the direction of the current will always change when a magnet is moved. This is because the changing magnetic field will always induce an electric field in the wire, which will then cause a current to flow in the opposite direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can the direction of the current be reversed by moving the magnet in the opposite direction?

Yes, the direction of the current can be reversed by moving the magnet in the opposite direction. The direction of the current is always determined by the direction of the changing magnetic field, so by moving the magnet in the opposite direction, the changing magnetic field will also be reversed, resulting in a current flowing in the opposite direction.

4. Why is the direction of the current important?

The direction of the current is important because it determines the flow of electricity in a circuit. In electrical devices and appliances, the flow of current is crucial in order for them to function properly. Understanding the direction of the current is also important in designing and building electrical circuits.

5. Can the direction of the current be controlled by moving the magnet at different speeds?

No, the direction of the current cannot be controlled by moving the magnet at different speeds. The direction of the current is solely determined by the orientation and movement of the magnet, not the speed at which it is moved. However, the strength of the current can be affected by the speed of the magnet due to the rate of change in the magnetic field.