Elastic Hot Gas Seal - Up to 1200°F & 1 Atm Pressure

In summary, the person is looking for a type of cloth to seal hot gas between two pieces of equipment and is looking for help. They found a type of cloth that may be good for the job and is looking for more information.
Aero Stud
Hello people :smile:

Again I need some help...:shy:
I'm looking for a type of cloth that can be used to seal a gas at up to 700 degrees C (about 1200 F) and a pressure difference of up to 1 atmosphere.

Just to explain a bit more, I want to seal gas between two sections of a jet engine nozzle that can move a short ditance with respect to each other. The cloth is not directly exposed to the jet, just seals the whole thing on the outside, so the gas is mostly static in the emmidiate sealed volume ouside the nozzle, and pressure difference is actually probably less than even half an atmosphere (1 is just to be safe for now).

I found some fiberglass materials so far but I still don't know how well they can handle pressure or seal hot gas. I'll keep looking.

Thank you :smile:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Aero,
It sounds like you want a small amount of movement between the two parts you're sealing. Have you looked into Grafoil? It's commonly used on very high temperature valves, and can be used both as a static and dynamic seal. One manufacturer is UCAR Carbon, but I believe it's sold primarily through distributors:
http://www.usseal.com/Graphite.htm
http://www.grafoilsales.com/

You might also try posting your question at the engineering tips forum:
http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=819

Thank you again Q_Goest. :)

I looked at Grafoil, but it seems to mostly be used for O-rings. Anyway, many of these specifications are so specific that it's difficult to understand what exactly you're supposed to use these materials for, unless you have a pic.

Anyway, I think I found something:
http://www.jameswalker.biz/group/categories/expansion_joints.html

Hope it works. :smile:

Depending on the surrounding geometry you may have to go with a bellows type of a seal.

That's exactly what I want to avoid. I'm supposed to be an aerospace engineer dealing with stuff that's supposed to fly not an armoured tank engineer... :wink:

Aero Stud said:
That's exactly what I want to avoid. I'm supposed to be an aerospace engineer dealing with stuff that's supposed to fly not an armoured tank engineer... :wink:
I hate to break it to you, but bellows seals are on a lot of flying engines.

I didn't mean that, I meant I want to save weight as much as possible and what I found looks promisng. Thanks. :smile:

1. What is an elastic hot gas seal?

An elastic hot gas seal is a type of seal that is designed to withstand high temperatures and pressures in industrial settings. It is made of a flexible material, such as silicone or rubber, and is used to prevent the leakage of hot gases from one area to another.

2. What is the maximum temperature and pressure that an elastic hot gas seal can withstand?

The maximum temperature that an elastic hot gas seal can withstand is 1200°F (648°C), and the maximum pressure is 1 atmosphere (14.7 psi). These seals are specifically designed and tested to withstand these extreme conditions.

3. What are the applications of an elastic hot gas seal?

Elastic hot gas seals are commonly used in industrial settings where high temperatures and pressures are present, such as in chemical plants, oil refineries, and power plants. They are also used in the aerospace industry in engines and turbines.

4. How does an elastic hot gas seal work?

An elastic hot gas seal works by creating a barrier between two areas with different temperatures and pressures. The seal is compressed between two surfaces, creating a tight and secure seal that prevents the hot gases from escaping.

5. What are the advantages of using an elastic hot gas seal?

One of the main advantages of using an elastic hot gas seal is its ability to withstand extreme temperatures and pressures. It is also highly flexible and can conform to irregular surfaces, making it versatile for various applications. Additionally, these seals are durable and have a long lifespan, making them a cost-effective solution in industrial settings.