What Causes Water Droplets to Oscillate Under the Leidenfrost Effect?

• Thread starter Tamerlane
  • Start date
In summary, the Leidenfrost effect causes water drops to stop boiling at temperatures higher than 240 Celsius due to the sudden heating creating a vapor layer between the water and the surface. This effect can also occur on a plastic surface that has been polished or covered with teflon, trapping small bubbles of air. When heated to an optimal temperature of 410 celsius, a drop of water can start oscillating at a frequency of about 10Hz, forming a rounded triangular shape with 6 to 8 tips. The reason behind this phenomenon is still unclear and researchers are looking for answers related to surface tension and the movement of molecules within the drop.
Tamerlane
First of all, let me say that I'm a french [in the way that i speak french] student and most probably my sentences will not be as accurate as they should, excuse me in advance.

To make a long story short, the Leidenfrost effect makes a water drop to stop "boiling" at temperatures higher than 240 Celsius. The principle is as follows: the suddent heating of the water (when it falls on the surface) immediately creates a vapor layer between the liquified water and the surface.

Note: we have roughly measured the actual temperature of the water at around 80 celsius.

The same effect happens with a particular plastic surface that as been "polished" (or scratched) with an extremely thin sandpaper OR a surface covered with teflon => there is small "bubbles" of air that gets trapped between the real surface and the water.

Anyway, what interests me and my group is that when you heat the water ; our optimal temperature (for the oscillating mode we concentrated on) is about 410 celsius, at that point and from a very particular volume of water [the drop constantly evaporate], it starts oscillating at a frequency of about 10Hz and increasing. At that point, the drop has a rounded triangular shape, but it's so fast, you see 6 and arguably 8 tip to the "star" it forms.

Now, i'd like to know if anybody has ever heard of or work on such thing, we'd especially like to know what exactly happens, what makes the water turn on itself or oscillate [we're not even sure about the movement of the molecules within the drop]. If there is any formula that exists to describe such phenomenon or anything else.

Also, we are being told it has something to do with surface tension, anyone can help?

Thank you

Note to anyone who might wonder: I've put this message on 2 boards

Physics news on Phys.org
, this one and Physics Stack Exchange, so if you find the same message in both places, it's because it's the same person.

and i didn't get any answer

The Leidenfrost effect is a fascinating phenomenon that has been studied for centuries. It was first observed by Johann Gottlob Leidenfrost in 1756 and has since been studied and explained by scientists from various fields.

The basic principle of the Leidenfrost effect is that when a liquid, such as water, comes into contact with a surface that is significantly hotter than its boiling point, it does not immediately boil. Instead, a thin layer of vapor is created between the liquid and the surface, which insulates the liquid and prevents it from boiling. This creates a characteristic dancing or bouncing effect, as the liquid moves around on the vapor layer.

As you mentioned, this effect can also occur on surfaces that are not significantly hotter, but have a low surface tension or are coated with a substance like teflon. This is because these surfaces also create a vapor layer that insulates the liquid.

Now, to address your specific questions about the oscillating effect that you observed at a temperature of 410 celsius. This is likely due to a combination of factors, including the specific properties of the surface, the volume of water, and the temperature. The exact mechanism behind this oscillation is not fully understood, but it has been theorized that it is caused by the vapor layer collapsing and reforming rapidly, creating a pulsating effect on the water drop.

As for the role of surface tension, it is a key factor in the Leidenfrost effect. Surface tension is the force that holds the molecules of a liquid together and determines its shape and behavior. In the case of the Leidenfrost effect, the vapor layer created by the high temperature of the surface reduces the contact between the liquid and the surface, thereby reducing the surface tension and allowing the liquid to move more freely.

There have been numerous studies and experiments conducted on the Leidenfrost effect, but it is still a complex and ongoing area of research. There is no single formula that can fully describe this phenomenon, as it depends on various factors such as temperature, surface properties, and liquid volume.

I hope this helps to clarify some of your questions about the Leidenfrost effect. It is a fascinating topic and I encourage you to continue exploring and learning more about it.

1. What is the Leidenfrost effect?

The Leidenfrost effect is a phenomenon where a liquid droplet placed on a surface significantly hotter than its boiling point will levitate and move around on a layer of its own vapor. This effect occurs due to the formation of a vapor barrier between the droplet and the surface, which slows down the heat transfer and prevents the droplet from boiling away instantaneously.

2. How does the Leidenfrost effect work?

The Leidenfrost effect works by creating a vapor barrier between the liquid droplet and the hot surface. When the droplet is placed on the surface, it immediately starts to evaporate, creating vapor that collects under the droplet. As this vapor is constantly replenished, it creates a cushion that suspends the droplet, allowing it to move around on the surface without coming into direct contact with it.

3. What factors affect the Leidenfrost effect?

The Leidenfrost effect can be influenced by various factors, including the temperature of the surface, the type and temperature of the liquid, the roughness of the surface, and the size of the droplet. Higher temperatures and smoother surfaces tend to enhance the effect, while lower temperatures and rougher surfaces can weaken or even eliminate it.

4. What are the practical applications of the Leidenfrost effect?

The Leidenfrost effect has various practical applications, including cooling systems, heat transfer enhancement, and fire protection. It can also be used to demonstrate the principles of surface tension and heat transfer in educational settings.

5. How can the Leidenfrost effect be used to improve heat transfer?

The Leidenfrost effect can be utilized to improve heat transfer by reducing the contact between the hot surface and the liquid, which can cause thermal damage. By creating a vapor barrier, the Leidenfrost effect can help to dissipate heat more efficiently and prevent overheating. This can be beneficial in industrial processes where heat transfer is crucial, such as in cooling systems or power generation.