Definition of 0^0: What Does it Mean?

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
In summary, the debate on the definition of 0^0 is ongoing, with some defining it as 1 for convenience and others leaving it undefined. However, it is commonly accepted to be 1 due to its usefulness in dealing with infinite series and the Gamma function. The actual limit of 0^0 is indeterminate and can be made to approach any number.
murshid_islam
i was wondering how 0^0 is defined? can anybody please help?

thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Please can we not start a very long thread on this one? If people want to see the debates on it then search the forums.

Simply put the most logical definition of 0^0 is that it is equal to 1. This makes 'everything work' without having to make any 'except for 0 when it FOO is equal to 1' statements: partitions, functions, combinatorics, taylor series etc.

It isn't. It's an undefined statement like 0/0.

However, a lot of mathematicians like to set it equal to one, but it's really a matter of convenience. So be careful of this one.

I, and most people, define it to be [tex]0^0[/tex].
Why? Because it is useful for dealing with infinite series.

But some people do not define it. And what I hate is when a person tells me he does not define it but when he writes the power series he completely overlooks [tex]0^0[/tex]

The same way we define [tex]0!=1[/tex] (but there is actually another reason there).

We can also define in terms of the continuity of the function x^0 or x^x, or (x+x)^x or whatever you want.

The reason we define 0!=1 has very little relation to this..How many ways can we arrange nothing Kummer? Or if you want, you could take the recursive definition of the factorial function, [itex] n!= n\cdot (n-1)![/itex] and substituting n=1 gives the desired result.

The reason 0^0 remains undefined is because the limit that represents it does not actually converge. Of course we could somewhat cheat by making some assumptions, eg say that it is the limit:
[tex]\lim_{x^{+}\to 0} x^x[/tex], and that is equal to 1, but we assume that the Base and the exponent approach zero at the same rate.

The correct limit is actually:
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0 , y\to 0} x^y[/tex], which is multi valued.

Kummer said:
I, and most people, define it to be [tex]0^0[/tex].
Why? Because it is useful for dealing with infinite series.

What do you mean "define it to be [tex]0^0[/tex]"? Did you mean to say "define it to be 1"?

now i am really confused. is [tex]0^0 = 1[/tex] or not?

HallsofIvy said:
What do you mean "define it to be [tex]0^0[/tex]"? Did you mean to say "define it to be 1"?

Thank you.

Gib Z said:
The reason we define 0!=1 has very little relation to this..How many ways can we arrange nothing Kummer?

Yes, that is true. But that does not constitute a formal mathematical proof. The problem is that there is no proof and it is a matter of taste. My preference along with most people is to define it as 1 because it is useful in power series.

Another reason is that the Gamma function evaluated at 1 is equal to 1, and that is a generalization of a factorial. But that is another story.

murshid_islam said:
now i am really confused. is [tex]0^0 = 1[/tex] or not?

No, it is an "indeterminate"- like 0/0, if you replace the "x" value in a limit by, say, 0 and get 0^0 the limit itself might have several different values.

To take two obvious examples, if f(x)= x0, then f(0)= 00. For any positive x, f(x)= x0= 1 so the limit as x goes to 0 is 1. If we want to make this a continuous function, we would have to "define" 00= 1.

However, if f(x)= 0x we again have f(0)= 00 but for any positive x, f(x)= 0x= 0 which has limit 0 as x goes to 0. If we want to make this a continuous function, we would have to "define" 00= 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot, HallsofIvy. that made it pretty clear to me.

It might be still clearer now that I have edited it to say what I meant!

HallsofIvy said:
It might be still clearer now that I have edited it to say what I meant!
yeah it's clear. 00 cannot be equal to both 0 and 1. so that's why it is indeterminate. am i right?

murshid_islam said:
yeah it's clear. 00 cannot be equal to both 0 and 1. so that's why it is indeterminate. am i right?

Yes. Actually, it is possible to alter the limits slightly so as to get ANY number.

Come on people. It is not that 0^0 can be '0 and 1', but that a certain limit, x^y as x and y tend to 0 can be made to be arbitrary. That doesn't say what 0^0 is, just that the function f(x,y)=x^y has a nasty singularity at (0,0). But the symbol 0^0 has a perfectly well understood commonly accepted value as 1 for many other uses.

1. What is the definition of 0^0?

The definition of 0^0 is a mathematical expression that represents the power of 0 raised to the power of 0. This expression is often encountered in algebraic equations and is considered an indeterminate form.

2. Is 0^0 equal to 0 or 1?

The value of 0^0 is debated and depends on the context in which it is used. In some fields, such as calculus and combinatorics, it is defined as 1. In others, such as number theory and computer science, it is defined as 0. Therefore, it is not accurate to say that it is equal to 0 or 1 universally.

3. Why is 0^0 considered an indeterminate form?

The indeterminate form of 0^0 arises because there is no consensus on its value and it can lead to different results depending on the context. This makes it difficult to assign a specific value to 0^0 and is why it is often considered undefined or indeterminate.

4. Can 0^0 ever be equal to a non-zero number?

No, 0^0 cannot be equal to a non-zero number. This is because any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, except for 0 which is undefined. Therefore, 0^0 can only be equal to 0 or 1, depending on the context in which it is used.

5. How is the value of 0^0 used in scientific calculations?

The value of 0^0 is not typically used in scientific calculations as it is considered an indeterminate form. In certain fields, such as calculus, it may be defined as 1 to simplify equations, but in most cases, it is left undefined to avoid confusion and potential errors in calculations.