.How would you evaluate this integral?

• Thread starter Doom of Doom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral can be evaluated by using various methods such as using complex analysis, showing the function is odd and using symmetry, converting it to a power series, or adding two equivalent integrals to simplify it to a basic integral. The value of the integral is approximately pi.
Doom of Doom
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{dx}{1+e^{sin(x)}}[/tex]

How would you evaluate this integral? Where do you even start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we know that [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + x^{2}} = arctan(x) + C [/tex].

How can we think of [tex] e^{sin(x)} [/tex] as a term that's been squared?

hotcommodity said:
Well, we know that [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + x^{2}} = arctan(x) + C [/tex].

How can we think of [tex] e^{sin(x)} [/tex] as a term that's been squared?

No idea :(

I would have let u=sin x, so the integral becomes [tex]\int \frac{1}{1+e^u} \frac{du}{\sqrt{1-u^2}}[/tex] then did integration by parts.

I was completely wrong about using [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1 + x^{2}} = arctan(x) + C [/tex].

I tried evaluating the integral using my TI-89, but it wouldn't evaluate it unless I put in endpoints.

Doom of Doom said:
[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{dx}{1+e^{sin(x)}}[/tex]

How would you evaluate this integral? Where do you even start?

I would try the following. Put [tex]z=\exp\left(i x\right)[/tex]. The integral then becomes:

[tex]\oint\frac{1}{1+\exp\left(\frac{z-z^{-1}}{2i}\right)}\frac{dz}{iz}[/tex]

where the contour integral is over the unit circle in the complex plane. Next, use the residue theorem.

Actually, I think I found a way to do this without using complex analysis.
The answer is pi.

Let [tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{1+e^{sin(x)}}[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=f(x-\pi)-\frac{1}{2} = \frac{1}{1+e^{sin(x-\pi)}}-\frac{1}{2}[/tex].

I will now show that g(x) is an odd function on the interval [tex]\left[-\pi,\pi\right][/tex]. For this to be true, I need g(x)=-g(-x), or g(x)+g(-x)=0.

Using the fact that sin(x-pi)=-sin(x) and sin(-x-pi)=sin(x),

[tex]g(x)+g(-x)= [/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{1+e^{sin(x-\pi)}}-\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{1+e^{sin(-x-\pi)}}-\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{1+e^{-sin(x)}}+\frac{1}{1+e^{sin(x)}}-1[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1+e^{sin(x)}+1+e^{-sin(x)}}{(1+e^{-sin(x)})(1+e^{sin(x)})}-1[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{2+e^{sin(x)}+e^{-sin(x)}}{1+e^{sin(x)}+e^{-sin(x)}+1}-1[/tex]

[tex]=1-1=0[/tex]

Therefore, g(x) is odd, which implies that [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}g(x+\pi) dx=0[/tex].

Because [tex]f(x)=g(x+\pi)+\frac{1}{2}[/tex],

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}f(x) dx[/tex] simply becomes [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\frac{1}{2} dx[/tex], which is obviously pi.

I made it into a power series and got the value to be accurate to .0000001 and it does look like pi. :)

What happens here is that the integral is equal to: [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{dx}{1+e^{sin(x)}}+[/tex] [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{dx}{1+e^{-sin(x)}}[/tex]

The second integral then becomes: [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{e^{sinx}}{1+e^{sinx}}[/tex]

Thus adding the integrals reduces to [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}dx[/tex] as Doom of Doom has already figured out.

Last edited:
holy crap so many different ways to do one integral. i like doom of dooms the best

What is a "Crazy integral"?

A "Crazy integral" is a term used to describe a particularly complex or challenging mathematical integral that may involve unusual functions, techniques, or substitutions.

Why are "Crazy integrals" important?

"Crazy integrals" are important because they often represent real-world problems that require advanced mathematical techniques to solve. By studying these integrals, scientists can develop new methods and techniques to solve complex problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance.

How do you approach solving a "Crazy integral"?

When faced with a "Crazy integral", it is important to first understand the properties and behavior of the functions involved. Then, different techniques such as integration by parts, trigonometric substitutions, or partial fractions can be applied to simplify the integral. Practice and persistence are key to successfully solving these challenging integrals.

Can "Crazy integrals" be solved by hand?

Yes, "Crazy integrals" can be solved by hand using various mathematical techniques. However, for extremely complex integrals, it may be necessary to use computational methods or software to obtain an approximate solution.

Are there any tips for solving "Crazy integrals"?

Some tips for solving "Crazy integrals" include breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts, using symmetry or other patterns to simplify the problem, and being creative with substitutions or transformations. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, and to practice solving a variety of integrals.