Magnetic field at a point due to current carrying wires

In summary, the question involves calculating the magnetic field at point A due to current carrying wires. The equation used is B = (μ * i * φ) / (2 * π * R). For segment 1, B = 0 since the wire goes directly towards the point. For segment 2, the magnetic field is calculated using the given equation. For segments 3 and 4, the B-field is calculated and segment 4 has twice the value of segment 3. The issue arises with segments 5 and 6, where it is assumed that segment 1 and 6 are insulated and touching, resulting in a closed loop with a semicircle and rectangular piece. The contribution from segment 5 is the same
bilals

Homework Statement

magneticfield.jpg

Homework Equations

B =( [tex]\mu[/tex] * i * [tex]\phi[/tex] ) / (2 * [tex]\pi[/tex] * R)

The Attempt at a Solution

i wanted to add one more equation, but I am having difficulty in writing them. whatever!

As you can see from the question there are 6 segments of current carrying wires.

For segment 1 which is labeled in the picture above, B = 0, because the wire goes directly towards the point.

For segment 2 (the semi-circular arc), the magnetic field is calculated using the equation above. where [tex]\phi[/tex] = [tex]\pi[/tex].

For segment 3, i calculated the B-field and i think its correct...it is 0.0000035969 Tesla.

For segment 4, the B-field is twice as much of segment 3.

the problem now is that i don't know how to calculate the field due to segments 5 and 6. I am not sure if they produce any magnetic field that act on point A.

so please if anyone could help as soon as possible.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is safe to assume here that segments 1 and 6 are insulated and touching each other in which case you have current running in a closed loop consisting of a semicircle and a rectangular piece. The contribution from 5 is tha same as the contribution from 3 and the contribution frm 6 is zero.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as current-carrying wires, and is characterized by its direction and strength.

How is a magnetic field created by current-carrying wires?

When electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow, according to the right-hand rule.

What is the direction of the magnetic field at a point near a current-carrying wire?

The direction of the magnetic field at a point near a current-carrying wire is perpendicular to the wire and in a circular pattern around it.

How is the strength of the magnetic field at a point near a current-carrying wire determined?

The strength of the magnetic field at a point near a current-carrying wire is determined by the distance from the wire, the amount of current flowing through the wire, and the permeability of the material surrounding the wire.

Can the magnetic field at a point near a current-carrying wire be changed?

Yes, the magnetic field at a point near a current-carrying wire can be changed by altering the amount of current flowing through the wire, changing the distance from the wire, or changing the material surrounding the wire.