Herstein, Topics in Algebra, page 58

In summary, the conversation discusses a paragraph in Herstein's 'Topics in Algebra' that defines a cyclic group and a formal symbol x. The author mistakenly uses a^{3i} instead of a^{2i} in an example, but this has been corrected in the second edition. The intent is to define the semidirect product of two groups, G and X, where X is a cyclic group of order 3.
Jimmy Snyder
I have the second printing of the first edition of Herstein's 'Topics in Algebra', published 1964.

On page 58 near the middle of the page there is a paragraph that begins:

Let G be a cyclic group ...

The author writes
[tex]\phi:a^i \rightarrow a^{2i}[/tex]

and later

[tex]x^{-1}a^ix = \phi(a)^i = a^{3i}[/tex]

The next paragraph makes it clear that he means:
[tex]x^{-1}a^ix = \phi^i(a) = a^{3i}[/tex]

But it doesn't seem true to me. for instance if i = 1, then no matter how I write it, I get:
[tex]\phi(a) = a^3[/tex]

but by the definition of phi,
[tex]\phi(a) = a^2[/tex]

What gives?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is x in [tex]x^{-1}a^ix = \phi(a)^i = a^{3i}[/tex]? Surely it can't be just any member of G because then we would have a= a3.

And what is a? Any member of G or specifically a generator of G?

HallsofIvy said:
What is x in [tex]x^{-1}a^ix = \phi(a)^i = a^{3i}[/tex]? Surely it can't be just any member of G because then we would have a= a3.

And what is a? Any member of G or specifically a generator of G?
Sorry, I didn't put enough information for anyone that doesn't have a copy of the book. G is a cyclic group of order 7, a is an element of G, so that [itex]G = \{e = a^0, a^1, a^2, a^3, a^4, a^5, a^6\}[/itex]. x is a formal symbol. The author intends to describe the group of order 21 made of formal symbols [itex]x^ia^j, i = 0, 1, 2 j = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6[/itex].

I think it's a typo and should be [itex]a^{2i}[/itex] instead. Unfortunately I don't have my copy of Herstein on me right now to verify this. Maybe you could post a bit more of that page?

His intent is clear though: he's trying to define the semidirect product of G and X={1, x, x^2}, with X viewed as the cyclic group of order 3, where conjugation by x acts as [itex]\phi[/itex] on G.

morphism said:
I think it's a typo and should be [itex]a^{2i}[/itex] instead. Unfortunately I don't have my copy of Herstein on me right now to verify this. Maybe you could post a bit more of that page?

His intent is clear though: he's trying to define the semidirect product of G and X={1, x, x^2}, with X viewed as the cyclic group of order 3, where conjugation by x acts as [itex]\phi[/itex] on G.
Perhaps. However, he gives a specific example of multiplication in the larger group.
[tex]x^1a^1 \cdot x^1a^2 = x^1(a^1x^1)a^2 = x^1(x^1a^3)a^2 = x^2a^5[/tex]
That's taking a typo pretty far, but I suppose it's possible he lost track half way through the paragraph.

It was a typo in the 1st edition.
The corrected expression is on pg 69 of the 2nd edition:

x^{-1}a^ix = \\phi(a^i) = a^{2i}

With formatting...
[tex]
x^{-1}a^ix = \phi(a^i) = a^{2i}
[tex]

1. What is the purpose of page 58 in Herstein's Topics in Algebra?

Page 58 in Herstein's Topics in Algebra serves as a review of basic concepts and definitions related to groups, subgroups, and homomorphisms. It also introduces the concept of normal subgroups.

2. How does page 58 relate to previous material in the book?

Page 58 builds upon the concepts and definitions introduced in previous chapters, particularly those related to groups and subgroups. It also prepares the reader for more advanced topics that will be covered later in the book.

3. Is page 58 necessary to understand the rest of the book?

While page 58 may not be essential, it provides a solid foundation for the rest of the book and helps to reinforce key concepts and definitions. Skipping this page may make it more difficult to understand later material.

4. Are there any exercises or examples on page 58?

Yes, page 58 includes several exercises that allow the reader to practice applying the concepts and definitions discussed. There are also a few examples provided to further illustrate these concepts.

5. Can I skip page 58 and come back to it later?

While it is possible to skip page 58 and come back to it later, it is recommended to read and understand this page before moving on to the rest of the book. This will help to build a strong foundation for understanding more complex topics in algebra.