Why do we get different answers ?

• Thread starter matematikawan
  • Start date
In summary, there are several factors that can contribute to getting different answers when performing the same experiment multiple times, such as human error, equipment variations, and environmental conditions. The way an experiment is designed can also greatly affect the consistency of results, as poorly designed experiments may have flaws that lead to unreliable outcomes. Different measurement techniques can also impact the results, depending on their precision and accuracy. Additionally, human bias can play a significant role in the outcome of an experiment and should be minimized by using objective methods and multiple researchers. External factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also affect the results and should be controlled and monitored.
matematikawan
We were trying to solve the problem 28.32 on page 289 of the Schaum's Series Differential Equations by Richard Bronson and Gabriel Costa. The DE is
[tex]4 x^2 y'' + (4 x + 2 x^2) y' + (3 x - 1) y = 0[/tex]

We use the Frobenius method to solve this equation since x=0 is a regular singular point. The difference in the indicial roots is an integer, i.e. [tex]\frac{1}{2} - \frac{-1}{2} = 1[/tex].
We suspect that the answer given in the book is incorrect since the expression for [tex]y_{2}(x)[/tex] does not contain a term like [tex]y_{1}ln(x)[/tex]. Since then we are searching for the correct answer to the problem.

Method 1

mail@riemann.physmath.fundp.ac.be sent me the following convode solution (if I simplified correctly)

[tex]y=\frac{cte}{8} ( \sqrt{x} \exp{(-\frac{x}{2})} ei(\frac{x}{2}) - \frac{2}{\sqrt{x}})\ + arbcomplex(1) \sqrt{x} \exp{(-\frac{x}{2})} [/tex]

Some explanation are in French language which I do not understand. I presume that term cte stand for constant , arbcomplex(1) is an arbitrary complex constant and ei(x) is an exponential integral (not sure of the exact definition). Anybody familiar with convode ?

Method 2
I try Mathematica and obtained the following

[tex]y[x] = A \sqrt{x}\exp{(-\frac{x}{2})} + B \sqrt{x}\exp{(-\frac{x}{2})} Gamma(-1,-\frac{x}{2}) [/tex].

But not so sure about the function Gamma(x,y).

Method 3
We use the method suggested in that Book. We obtained the first fundamental solution as

[tex]y_{1}(x)= \sqrt(x) (1 - \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x^2}{8} - \frac{x^3}{48}+...[/tex]

which is consistent with one of the solution given by the above softwares [tex]y_{1} = \sqrt{x} \exp{-\frac{x}{2}}[/tex].

To obtain the second fundamental solution we write

[tex]y(x)= a_{0} x^r (1 - \frac{x}{2r+1} + \frac{x^2}{(2r+1)(2r+3)} - \frac{x^3}{(2r+1)(2r+3)(2r+5)}+... [/tex].

Multiply by (2r + 1) and differentiate wrt r and substitute [tex]r_{2}=\frac{-1}{2} [/tex] we obtain

[tex]2 y_{2}(x)=-a_{0} \sqrt{x} (1 - \frac{x}{2} + \frac{x^2}{8} - ...)[/tex] [tex]+\frac{2a_{0}}{ \sqrt(x)} (1 - \frac{x^2}{4} + \frac{3x^3}{32} - ...)[/tex]

Do we work correctly ?

Method 4

We use the Lagrange Reduction of Order to obtain the second fundamental solution

[tex]y_{2} = u(x) y_{1} \ \ \ \mbox{where} \ \ \ u'(x) = x^{-2} \exp{(\frac{x}{2}}) [/tex]

Integrate
[tex]u(x)= - \frac{1}{x} + \frac{ln(x)}{2} +\frac{x}{8}+\frac{x^2}{96}+... [/tex].
Then
[tex]y_{2}(x)=\frac{1}{2} y_{1} ln(x) +\sqrt{x} \exp{(-\frac{x}{2}}) (- \frac{1}{x} + +\frac{x}{8}+\frac{x^2}{96}+...)[/tex].

Method 5

Use [tex]y_{2}(x)=d_{-1}y_{1} ln(x) + x^{r} \Sigma d_{n} x^n [/tex].
But we haven't try yet this method.

My question: Are the second fundamental solution obtain from methods 1 - 5 are all equal / equivalent ? I'm quite worry about the result obtained from method 4.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. it is important to always question and double-check our results, especially when they do not match with what is expected or given in a reference book. After reviewing the methods and solutions presented, I can confirm that the second fundamental solutions obtained from methods 1, 2, 3, and 5 are all equivalent. However, the solution obtained from method 4 may not be the most accurate.

In method 4, the Lagrange Reduction of Order is used, which is a valid method, but it may not be the most appropriate for this particular differential equation. This method may introduce some errors in the solution, which could explain the discrepancy between the results obtained from method 4 and the others.

I would recommend double-checking the calculations and potentially trying another method, such as the power series method or the method of undetermined coefficients, to obtain a more accurate second fundamental solution.

Additionally, if possible, it would be beneficial to consult with a colleague or a professor for further guidance and discussion on this problem. Collaboration and discussion with others in the field can often lead to a better understanding and resolution of complex problems.

I hope this helps and good luck in your further investigations.

1. Why do we get different answers when we perform the same experiment multiple times?

There are several factors that can contribute to getting different answers when performing the same experiment multiple times. These include human error, variations in equipment or materials used, and differences in environmental conditions. It is important to conduct multiple trials and analyze the average results to minimize the impact of these variables.

2. Can experimental design affect the consistency of results?

Yes, the way an experiment is designed can greatly affect the consistency of results. Poorly designed experiments may have flaws that can lead to inconsistent or unreliable results. It is important to carefully plan and control all variables in an experiment to minimize the potential impact on the outcome.

3. How do different measurement techniques affect the results of an experiment?

The use of different measurement techniques can certainly impact the results of an experiment. Depending on the precision and accuracy of the technique, the results may vary. It is important to use the most appropriate and reliable measurement technique for the specific experiment being conducted.

4. Can human bias affect the outcome of an experiment?

Yes, human bias can certainly affect the outcome of an experiment. Our own beliefs, expectations, and personal opinions can influence the way we conduct and interpret experiments. To minimize this impact, it is important to use objective and standardized methods and to have multiple researchers involved in the experiment.

5. Are there any external factors that can lead to different results in an experiment?

Yes, external factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure can affect the results of an experiment. These variables can impact the behavior of the materials or organisms being studied, and therefore, the outcome of the experiment. It is important to control and monitor these external factors to ensure consistent results.