QM - Measuring Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of a wave function with l = 1 in the state |\psi> being in specific states of L_z after applying L_z to |\psi>. The formula for finding the probability is given, and it is mentioned that for normalized angular momentum eigenstates, the probabilities correspond to specific values. The conversation concludes with a note that quantum mechanics is not the speaker's strong point.
Biest
Hi,

I have a quick homework problem because I am confused. So a wave function with l = 1 in the state:

[tex] |\psi> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{14}} \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 \\
2 \\
3i \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

and i have to find the probability to be in state [tex] \hbar, -\hbar, 0 [/tex] in [tex] L_z [/tex], so i applied [tex] L_z [/tex] so [tex] |\psi> [/tex] and got

[tex] L_z|\psi> = \frac{\hbar}{\sqrt{14}} \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
1 \\
0 \\
-3i \end{array} \right)\] [/tex]

How do i find the probabilities from that?Thanks,

Biest

Physics news on Phys.org
Always, the probability of finding a state [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] in a state [tex]|\phi\rangle[/tex] is [tex]\left| \left<\phi \middle| \psi \right>\right|^2[/tex].

But how do i take the [tex] \hbar, -\hbar 0[/tex] condition into account?

assuming your [tex]|\psi\rangle[/tex] is in the basis of normalised angular momentum eigenstates, then your probabilities just correspond to [tex]\frac{1}{14}[/tex] for [tex]\hbar[/tex], [tex]\frac{2}{7}[/tex] for 0 and [tex]\frac{9}{14}[/tex] for [tex]-\hbar[/tex].

so what happens is that for [tex]|\phi\rangle[/tex] to return you an eigenvalue of say [tex]\hbar[/tex], we need

[tex]|\phi\rangle = \[ \left( \begin{array}{ccc} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right) \] [/tex]

and taking [tex]\left| \left<\phi \middle| \psi \right>\right|^2[/tex], we get [tex]\frac{1}{14}[/tex].

hope it helps. QM was never my strong point. haha

1. What is angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

Angular momentum in quantum mechanics is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a particle. It is an intrinsic property of a particle and is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values.

2. How is angular momentum measured in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is measured using operators, specifically the angular momentum operator. This operator acts on the wave function of a particle to determine its angular momentum value.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and spin in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spin is a type of angular momentum that is associated with particles, such as electrons, that have intrinsic magnetic moments. The spin of a particle is quantized and can be measured using the spin operator.

4. Can the angular momentum of a particle change in quantum mechanics?

Yes, the angular momentum of a particle can change in quantum mechanics through various processes such as interactions with other particles or external forces. However, the total angular momentum of a closed system is conserved.

5. How is angular momentum used in quantum mechanics to describe atomic and molecular systems?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is used to describe the energy levels and properties of atoms and molecules. The quantized values of angular momentum play a crucial role in explaining the stability and behavior of these systems.