Importing ECG to MATLAB: Tips for Signal Compression and Compatibility

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter lexy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the person is working on an ECG signal compression project and needs to download an ECG in MATLAB. However, there is an incompatibility issue with the ECG recording from the "MIT-database ECG" and the MATLAB environment. They are seeking help in converting the .dat file to a .txt file to use in MATLAB. They have found a program, rdsign212, that can read binary data files in MATLAB and have provided instructions on how to use it. They also ask for help in converting the .mat ECG signal to be displayed in MATLAB.
lexy
hello,
I am working on a project of electrocardiographique (ECG) signal compression, in this way i need to download an ECG to treat it in MATLAB. The probleme that appears, is the incompatibility of ECG recording that i find in the "MIT-database ECG" with the MATLAB environement.

So i hope find some help by giving me,either an ECG recording with TEXT (.txt) format (because i know import it to MATLAB), or an advice to convert it.

Thank you.
(PS:sorry for my english!?)

Physics news on Phys.org
i've found the solution on the web

To read a binary data file (e.g. ecg.dat) from within MATLAB, you can use the provided program rdsign212 (download ‘rdsign212.m’ and ‘rdsign212.dll’ from homepage). Copy these two files into your MATLAB working directory. To read the first 10000 samples of a 2-lead ECG (file ecg.dat) and assign the data to a variable ecg, type the following in the MATLAB command window:

ecg = rdsign212('ecg.dat',2,1,1000)

You can get the syntax for the command rdsign212 by typing ‘help rdsign212’.

hello,
I am working on a project of electrocardiograph (ECG) signal compression, i need to download an ECG in MATLAB. The probleme that appears, is the incompatibility of ECG recording that i find in the "MIT-database ECG" with the MATLAB environement.

So i need the help of converting .dat file to .txt file,and using it in matlab

Hi
Where can i find the 'program' (the m file), rdsign212.m??

how to get .mat ecg signal

how to get .mat ecg signal

i have an ECG project and want to disply on matlab
so i first did the hadware part and i get the ECG signal on osciloscope as analog signal so i want to display this signal by using matlab
what are the procedures can i do?

1. How do I import ECG signals into MATLAB?

To import ECG signals into MATLAB, you can use the "ecgimport" function, which is included in the Signal Processing Toolbox. This function allows you to import ECG data from various file formats, including ASCII, WFDB, and EDF.

2. What is the best way to compress ECG signals for efficient storage?

One way to compress ECG signals for efficient storage is to use lossless compression techniques, such as Huffman coding or run-length encoding. These methods reduce the size of the signal without losing any information, making it easier to store and transmit the data.

3. Can I use MATLAB to analyze ECG data from different sources?

Yes, you can use MATLAB to analyze ECG data from different sources. However, it is important to ensure that the data is in a compatible format for MATLAB to read. You may need to convert the data into a supported format using a third-party tool or by writing your own code.

4. How can I check the quality of ECG signals after importing them into MATLAB?

To check the quality of ECG signals after importing them into MATLAB, you can use the "ecgplot" function. This function allows you to visualize the signal and check for any abnormalities or artifacts. You can also use other signal processing functions in MATLAB to filter or clean the data if necessary.

5. Are there any tips for improving compatibility when importing ECG signals into MATLAB?

One tip for improving compatibility when importing ECG signals into MATLAB is to ensure that the data is properly formatted. This includes having the correct number of data points per second, using the appropriate data type, and having consistent headers or labels. It may also be helpful to consult the documentation or seek help from the data provider to ensure compatibility.