Recommendations for Linear Algebra Books

In summary, the conversation was about recommendations for Linear Algebra books. "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler was mentioned as a popular recommendation, although it may not be suitable for beginners. Other suggestions included "Linear Algebra Demystified" and "Linear Algebra: An Introduction." "Vector Spaces" by Halmos was also mentioned.
zodiacbrave
I was wondering if anyone could recommend some Linear Algebra books?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well many people on these forums, including myself, like to recommend "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler, although it might not be appropriate for a first exposure to linear algebra. I cannot recommend any others, as I have never had another good linear algebra text.

Use search, this has been posted atleast 50 thousand times.

i recommend shilov, good and cheap. also sharipov, free and good.

hoffman and kunze

Shilov is very good.

Linear Algebra Done Right by Axler

I really like "Linear Algebra Demystified". Even though the Demystified series is usually a bunch of crap, and with terrible editing and proofreading to boot, this book was actually pretty good. He even covers Linear Algebra with complex numbers. "Linear Algebra: An Introduction" by Bronson is good too.

Try Halmos' Vector Spaces (or something close to that)

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, systems of linear equations, and their properties.

2. Why is linear algebra important?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, economics, and data science. It provides a framework for solving complex systems of equations and analyzing relationships between variables.

3. What are some recommended linear algebra books for beginners?

Some popular linear algebra books for beginners include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to linear algebra concepts and techniques.

4. Are there any linear algebra books specifically for data science?

Yes, there are several linear algebra books that focus on applications in data science, such as "Linear Algebra for Data Science" by Norman Matloff and "Linear Algebra and Its Applications in Data Mining" by Boris Mirkin. These books cover topics such as matrix operations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and linear regression in the context of data analysis.

5. What should I look for in a good linear algebra book?

A good linear algebra book should have clear explanations and examples, a good balance between theoretical concepts and practical applications, and a variety of exercises for practice. It should also be well-organized and provide a solid foundation for further study in the subject.