Equation of a rotated parabola knowing only 3pts the equation has to satisfy

• Thread starter arpace
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the equations of a rotated parabola with only three given points. The suggestions include simplifying by changing coordinates, using brute algebra force, and utilizing the symmetry of the parabola. The conversation also mentions finding the equation of a parabola with a horizontal directrix given three random points along the line, which can be solved by putting the values into the general form of a parabola equation.
arpace
I am trying to determine the tangent of the vertex and the axis of symmetry of a rotated parabola, not knowing the equation of the parabola, and only knowing 3pts the equation has to satisfy.

Can anyone help out with this? I have three points, the second is always the vertex, and pt1 and point 2 are on opposite sides of the parabola; yet, they are unequal in distance from the vertex.

for example:

pt1 is something like 1,2
pt2 , the vertex, is 2,8
pt3, is something like 9,7

I already know the math to get tangent, I just need the process to find the equations of the parabola that is rotated knowing only three points.

This relates to quadratic bezier curves cause it will enable me to find the control point with some additional steps; it is just getting over this hurdle that bites.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi arpace ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: first, simplify it by changing coordinates so that the vertex is at (0,0).

Then you know the equation for a parabola with vertex (0,0) must be ax + by = … ? :smile:

In general, you can't. Given any 3 points, there exist a unique parabola with vertical axis of symmetry passing through those 3 points. There exist an infinite number of parabolas with other axes passing through those same three points.

^ I think the TC may have implicitly implied that the focus and directrix are positioned at
(0,p) and (0,-p) respectively, and then rotated from there.

I know that I would have to rotate it back to 0 degrees; yet, in order to do that don't you need to know either the tangent or the axis of symmetry to find the degree it needs to be rotated by?

The second point is always the vertex; yet, the points 1 and 3 are not an equal distance from the vertex; thus, this is where my hard time starts.

If it is not possible, then is there another way to determine the control point for a quadratic bezier curve, knowing the same information?

Try brute algebra force? That's my only suggestion.

Observe that for a parabola symetric between the Y axis (I forget what that's called) for every point, (x,y,) there is a corrisponding point, (-x,y), such as that (x,y) and (-x,y) are equal in distance to the y-axis (the point x=0.) When rotated, each point must still contain this symetry. You could probably use this fact in tandem with some serious trig to figure it out (I'd see what I could do, but I'm at work, I can't be jotting down equations willy-nilly. =p)

How do i calculate the equation of a parabola with a horizontal directrix given three random points along the line. I tried to translate the graph around the origin but that still didnt work. The points are (1/2,6), (3/2,16), (-3/2,-2).

mr articulate said:
How do i calculate the equation of a parabola with a horizontal directrix given three random points along the line. I tried to translate the graph around the origin but that still didnt work. The points are (1/2,6), (3/2,16), (-3/2,-2).

A parabola with horizontal directrix has vertical axis of symmetry and so is of the form y= ax2+ bx+ c. Put the x and y values of the three points into that equation and solve for a, b, and c.

1. What is the equation of a rotated parabola?

The equation of a rotated parabola is given by y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a is the coefficient of the squared term, b is the coefficient of the linear term, and c is the constant term.

2. How many points are needed to determine the equation of a rotated parabola?

At least three distinct points are needed to determine the equation of a rotated parabola.

3. Can the equation of a rotated parabola be determined if only three points are given?

Yes, the equation of a rotated parabola can be determined with only three points if the points are not collinear or if they do not lie on a straight line.

4. What are the steps to find the equation of a rotated parabola with only three points?

The steps to find the equation of a rotated parabola with only three points are:
1. Write the general equation of a rotated parabola, y = ax^2 + bx + c.
2. Substitute the coordinates of the given points into the equation.
3. This will result in a system of three equations with three unknowns a, b, and c. Solve the system using any method, such as substitution or elimination.
4. Once the values of a, b, and c are determined, the equation of the rotated parabola can be written as y = ax^2 + bx + c.

5. Are there any other methods to find the equation of a rotated parabola with only three points?

Yes, there are other methods to find the equation of a rotated parabola with only three points, such as using matrices or using the Lagrange interpolation formula. However, these methods may be more complex and require a deeper understanding of math concepts.