Laptop and cell phone batteries

In summary: Thanks for the question! :)One thing you may also want to consider is that it's not always what is the best chemical or element for the job when it comes to things like these. You have to consider how much it costs to acquire the material, whether or not it's really usable in the environment it needs to be used in, etc.
student85
How do these batteries work? Are they simply capacitors being connected in a parallel configuration?
What is the difference between a laptop and a cell phone battery?

Physics news on Phys.org
Batteries are chemical devices. A battery contains different materials which react with a characteristic voltage. The ability to produce a current is determined by the amount of un-reacted materials present. When all (or most) of the material has undergone the reaction, no current can be produced..The battery is dead.

By applying a reverse voltage the direction of the reaction can be reversed, thus restoring the original composition and the ability to produce a current. The battery has been recharged.

Laptop and cell phone batteries are typically the same type of lithium ion battery.

Thanks guys.
So no capacitors involved?

No caps are used for energy storage. There will be some small ones in any an board circuitry associated with the battery.

Thanks Integral.
Btw, what is your profession? How do you guys know the answers to all problems??
I'm quite amazed by all the smart people on this site :P
I love this site :P

Answers to ALL questions. :rofl: That won't happen!

The mentors on this site have degrees in either science or Engineering. Mine are Physics and Math. For now, I am a Technican working in a wafer fab.

Hey Integral,

I don't mean to barge in, but you seem to be quite knowledgeable with batteries and the like so would you mind quickly poking over to my thread (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=246208) and telling me if I'm on the right track as far as batteries are concerned? Thanks! :)

Integral said:
Batteries are chemical devices. A battery contains different materials which react with a characteristic voltage. The ability to produce a current is determined by the amount of un-reacted materials present. When all (or most) of the material has undergone the reaction, no current can be produced..The battery is dead.

By applying a reverse voltage the direction of the reaction can be reversed, thus restoring the original composition and the ability to produce a current. The battery has been recharged.
This might be the single best explanation of how cell phone batteries work that I have ever read. You concisely break down how they expend energy to power the phone, and you also explain how they are able to recharge in an easy-to-understand manner. Bravo to you!

Can you explain why lithium seems to be the core component of most modern batteries? What about the element allows it to store so much energy?

DrGeek said:
This might be the single best explanation of how cell phone batteries work that I have ever read. You concisely break down how they expend energy to power the phone, and you also explain how they are able to recharge in an easy-to-understand manner. Bravo to you!

Can you explain why lithium seems to be the core component of most modern batteries? What about the element allows it to store so much energy?

You may need to ask in a new thread as this may be in violation of our necroposting policy (this thread is 3 years old).

One thing you may also want to consider is that it's not always what is the best chemical or element for the job when it comes to things like these. You have to consider how much it costs to acquire the material, whether or not it's really usable in the environment it needs to be used in, etc.

1. How long do laptop and cell phone batteries typically last?

Laptop and cell phone batteries typically have a lifespan of 2-3 years with regular use. However, this can vary depending on usage habits and the quality of the battery.

2. Is it okay to leave my laptop or phone charging overnight?

Leaving your laptop or phone charging overnight is generally safe, as most modern devices have built-in mechanisms to prevent overcharging. However, it is recommended to unplug the device once it reaches a full charge to prolong the lifespan of the battery.

3. How can I extend the lifespan of my laptop and cell phone batteries?

To extend the lifespan of your batteries, it is recommended to avoid extreme temperatures (both hot and cold), avoid fully draining the battery, and to use the correct charging method for your device (such as not using a fast charger if your device does not support it).

4. Can I use a different brand or model of battery for my laptop or phone?

It is generally not recommended to use a different brand or model of battery for your device, as it may not be compatible and could potentially damage your device. Always use the recommended battery for your specific device.

5. How do I properly dispose of old laptop and cell phone batteries?

Laptop and cell phone batteries should not be thrown in the regular trash as they can be hazardous to the environment. Many electronic stores offer recycling programs for old batteries, or you can check with your local recycling center for proper disposal methods.