Where did this term come from? (Fourier)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Fourier transform of a function y(x,t) where the function \hat{y}(k,t) is defined as the integral of y with respect to x. The goal is to find \hat{y} in terms of k and t. The conversation then introduces the given function \frac{1}{1+x^2} and its Fourier transform, and uses this to find \hat{y}. However, the answer given in the text is different from the one obtained in the conversation, and the question is why. It is then discovered that an additive constant is needed in order to obtain the correct result, and this is achieved by writing the equation in a different form. The reason for
rsq_a
A simple question.

Suppose I have [tex]\epsilon^2 y''' - y' = \frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex].

The goal is to calculate the Fourier transform of [tex]y(x,t)[/tex] where we define,

[tex]\hat{y}(k,t) = F[\phi] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} y e^{ikx} ds[/tex]

We're also given that,

[tex]F\left[ \frac{1}{1+x^2} \right] = \pi e^{-|k|}[/tex]

Now we take transforms of both sides:

[tex]\rightarrow F[\epsilon^2 y''' - y] = F[\frac{1}{1+x^2}][/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow -i k^3 \epsilon^2 \hat{y} - ik \hat{y} = \pi e^{|k|}[/tex]

[tex]\rightarrow \hat{y} = -\frac{\pi e^{-|k|}}{ik(1-\epsilon^2 k^2)}[/tex]

The answer, however, is supposed to be:

[tex]\hat{y} = -\frac{\pi e^{-|k|}}{ik(1-\epsilon^2 k)} + 2\pi a \frac{k\delta(k)}{k(1-\epsilon^2 k^2)}[/tex]

where 'a' is some constant.

My question is why? I know it has something to do with an additive constant, but I need someone to be explicit with the mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've figured out a way to 'see' the result:

Instead write the equation like this:

[tex]\epsilon^2 y''' - y' = \frac{1}{1+x^2} + \frac{d}{dx} 2\pi{a}[/tex]

and the result follows automatically.

But what I don't understand is why I 'need' to do this. Why haven't I seen this in any texts on Fourier transforms (that if one is applying the transform to a (for example), third order equation reducible to second order, one needs to add arbitrary constants.

Last edited:

1. Where did the term "Fourier" come from?

The term "Fourier" comes from the name of a French mathematician and physicist, Jean-Baptiste Joseph Fourier. He is best known for his work on the mathematical analysis of heat transfer and for developing the Fourier series, which is the basis for Fourier analysis.

2. How did the term "Fourier" become associated with mathematical analysis?

Jean-Baptiste Joseph Fourier's work on heat transfer and his development of the Fourier series led to the term "Fourier" being used to describe mathematical analysis techniques that use Fourier series and transforms to decompose complex functions into simpler trigonometric functions.

3. Is the term "Fourier" used in any other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the term "Fourier" is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. In these fields, it is used to describe the application of Fourier analysis techniques to understand and manipulate signals and systems.

4. What is the significance of the term "Fourier" in modern science and technology?

The term "Fourier" has significant importance in modern science and technology because it provides a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding complex systems and signals. It is used in a wide range of applications, from image and sound processing to quantum mechanics and astrophysics.

5. Are there any other terms or concepts related to "Fourier" that I should know about?

Yes, in addition to the Fourier series and transforms, there are other related concepts such as the Fourier transform pair, Fourier coefficients, and the Fourier integral. These all stem from Jean-Baptiste Joseph Fourier's original work on heat transfer and have become widely used in various fields of science and engineering.