Doom Character's Infamous Scream Noise

• Thread starter lax1113
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, the scream is a very famous sound effect that is often reused in different media. It is most likely from the PC game Doom, and may have been used in other games as well. It is easy to find and download the game, and anyone can listen to the scream and identify it.
lax1113
From the PC game doom, one of the characters make an insane screaming noise that is reused in some movie, i can't think of it now. I haven't played doom in a while, but i really need to know where i can find this scream noise because it is the single most disgusting noise in the world. if anyone has a copy of doom, please play it and understand why this scream is so important to me. From searching I thought it might have been the wilheim scream, but after listening to it, this scream is not the one, and it is in no way sufficient.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isnt that the Rosie O'donnell scream

I've researched this too! It's a very famous stock sound clip used by many sound designers for myriad purposes. I haven't been able to track down the original source for it, and from my searching, no one else has, either. I'm sure it's so old that its out of copyright, whatever source its from.

Another funny stock sound clip is a certain falcon cry. Whenever you are introduced to a desolate landscape on the screen, this clip usually accompanies it. Also, it comes with almost any shot of a falcon flying.

Chandler,
I am glad that someone else out there knows what I am talking about. I agree with you on the copyright, afterall, it has been over a decade since doom originally came out. I downloaded Doom last night but unfortunately my sound card doesn't work with it, so every noise made was echoing and was barely legible.

lax1113 said:
From the PC game doom, one of the characters make an insane screaming noise that is reused in some movie, i can't think of it now. I haven't played doom in a while, but i really need to know where i can find this scream noise because it is the single most disgusting noise in the world. if anyone has a copy of doom, please play it and understand why this scream is so important to me. From searching I thought it might have been the wilheim scream, but after listening to it, this scream is not the one, and it is in no way sufficient.

the reason some Doom sound effects are in some commercials, movies, tv, etc is beause they all came from the same effects library:
http://www.sound-ideas.com/6000.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I've definitely heard the same scream in a lot of different movies and games, but I've never been able to find out what it is, and it's not Wilhelm Scream.

OT: speaking of sounds used in games, anybody recognized an old 20 MB HDD sound on the first level of Unreal?

Doom 3 scared the piss out of me.

Is this the scream:

Its not wilhelm and I've heard it in a few movies and games.

EDIT: yep I am pretty sure that is it
http://www.doomworld.com/linguica/FALL.wav

EDIT2: and a whole video compillation of it:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6_hok4-lo

EDIT more:
And a comparison to the wilhelm:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBXkfb7Ok0o

The name of the sound effect is
"gut wrenching scream and fall into distance"

And a whole website dedicated to it:
http://www.freewebs.com/notthewilhelmscream/history.html

And the deleted wikipedia page about it:
http://deletionpedia.dbatley.com/w/..._Into_Distance_(deleted_22_Jul_2008_at_21:00)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is it maze!
Unbelievable can't believe someone found this finally. I have decided to make this my text message ringtone, can't get enough of it.
Thanks for finding that maze.

I don't remember it from Doom at all (or Army of Darkness either). :confused: I think I remember it from Starcraft though. I think it's the sound that's made when one of the human buildings is selected. The Doom sound effect I want to find out more about is the one that the Romero's Head makes when it spits out the monsters.

Last edited:
It sounds easy - where is the problem with finding Doom and level editor on the web?

I think its in doom, not sure, but the only reason I am pretty sure that it is is because me and my brother both remember this scream as being from it. It has been over 10 years since either of us played the game, but it just seems like it'd be too much of a coincidence for us to remember the same sound if it didnt come from doom. I think it was also in jurassic park maybe, something like that.

Yup, that is one of the screams I was talking about. There is a similar one, kind of ends in an "arrk" sound. Maybe I made that one up, though? =S

1. What is the infamous scream noise in the game Doom?

The infamous scream noise in the game Doom is known as the "Doomguy's death scream" or simply the "Doom scream". It is a high-pitched, guttural scream that is heard when the player's character, the Doomguy, dies in the game.

2. Why is the Doom scream so iconic?

The Doom scream has become iconic due to its distinct and memorable sound, as well as its frequent use in popular culture and internet memes. It has also been featured in various versions of the Doom game and its sequels, which has contributed to its widespread recognition.

3. Who created the Doom scream?

The Doom scream was created by the game's sound designer, Bobby Prince. He recorded his own voice and then manipulated it using sound editing software to achieve the desired effect. The scream has remained unchanged in all versions of the game.

4. Is the Doom scream based on a real scream?

Yes, the Doom scream is based on a real scream. Bobby Prince recorded his own scream and then used sound editing techniques to enhance and distort it. However, some fans have speculated that the scream may have been inspired by the famous Wilhelm scream, a stock sound effect commonly used in movies and TV shows.

5. Can the Doom scream be turned off?

Yes, the Doom scream can be turned off in most versions of the game. In some versions, such as the original Doom and Doom II, players can disable the Doom scream by entering a cheat code. In other versions, such as the 2016 reboot, players can turn off the scream in the game's settings.