Uncertainty in Sound Recorder Measurements: Finding the Average and Range

• Thread starter Davronbek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the student is struggling with finding the uncertainty for the values in their lab report. They are using the equation max+min/2, but are unsure of how to interpret the large number they are getting. They also mention their results for the experiment, which consist of blocks and decibel measurements. The student is unsure of how to present the uncertainty and asks for clarification on whether to use ± or to calculate the standard deviation. The expert summarizer suggests using (max-min)/2 for a rough calculation of the spread and states that for a more accurate measure, the standard deviation should be used. The best way to present the uncertainty is by stating the average value plus or minus the uncertainty.
Davronbek

Homework Statement

I have this lab report due to tomorrow, but I'm stuck in this problem. My teacher asked me to find the uncertainty for the values, max+min/2. But, i get a huge number, how can that be the uncertainty?

Homework Equations

1- 154g 110 115 120
2- 208g 116 117 117
3- 137g 107 108 107
4- 145g 119 119 118
5- 155g 118 117 117
6- 149g 115 115 115

Those are my results for my experiment. 1,2,3 etc represent the blocks, and the numbers are the recording in decibel (dbl) sound recorder.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I do it according to her. Max+min/2 i should get for nr1. 120+110/2=115 ? is that ±115? How can that be the uncertainty? I also attempted to do Max-min/2 for nr1= 120-110/2= 5 so is that ±5?

Physics news on Phys.org
max+min/2
should be (max - min)/2
This is a rough calculation of the spread in the data.
If you had more data, it would be worth doing the standard deviation, a more sophisticated measure of the spread in the data.

So how do i present this uncertainty? +- (answer here) or?

Yes, you would state the best value (the average) plus or minus the uncertainty.

1. What is sound recorder uncertainty?

Sound recorder uncertainty refers to the amount of error or variation that can occur when recording and measuring sound. It can be influenced by various factors such as the quality of the recording equipment and the environment in which the recording is made.

2. How is sound recorder uncertainty measured?

Sound recorder uncertainty is typically measured in decibels (dB), which is a unit used to express the intensity of sound. It can be calculated by comparing the recorded sound to a known reference sound and determining the difference in dB.

3. What can affect the accuracy of sound recorder uncertainty?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of sound recorder uncertainty, including the type and quality of the recording equipment, the distance between the sound source and the microphone, and any background noise or interference present during the recording.

4. How can sound recorder uncertainty be minimized?

To minimize sound recorder uncertainty, it is important to use high-quality recording equipment and to ensure that the recording environment is as controlled and quiet as possible. It is also helpful to take multiple recordings and average the results to reduce any potential errors.

5. Why is sound recorder uncertainty important?

Understanding and taking into account sound recorder uncertainty is crucial for accurate and reliable sound measurements. It allows for proper interpretation and comparison of sound data and helps to ensure the validity of any conclusions drawn from the recordings.