Exploring the Concept of Empty Space: Understanding the Idea of a Vacuum

In summary, "empty space" is a term often used to describe the vacuum of space, which is not truly empty but contains various particles and fields that contribute to its properties. These include permeability, permittivity, impedance, and velocity of light, as well as other factors such as dark matter, dark energy, neutrinos, cosmic rays, microwaves, gravity, photons, higgs field, virtual particles, and quantum fluctuations. Despite its name, "empty space" is not completely devoid of substance.
curioussoul09
What is "empty space"?

I always hear this term: "empty space." It is synonymous with "vacuum," but I am having trouble understanding either of these two ideas.

How can space be "empty?"

Astronomy news on Phys.org
curioussoul09 said:
I always hear this term: "empty space." It is synonymous with "vacuum," but I am having trouble understanding either of these two ideas.

How can space be "empty?"

that's the pessimist view :rolleyes:

I think that space is full, of …

well …

space! :smile:

I would think it is impossible to have a truly empty space.

Edit

How would one find it?

The permeability of empty space is u0 Henrys per meter, and the permittivity of empty space is e0 Farads per meter, so the impedance of empty space is sqrt(u0 / e0)) = 377 ohms, and the velocity of light is sqrt(1 /(u0 e0)) = 2.9979 x 108 meters per sec. Other than that its pretty much nothing at all (except dark matter, dark energy, neutrinos, cosmic rays, microwaves, gravity, photons, etc.)

Last edited:

Bob S said:
Other than that its pretty much nothing at all (except dark matter, dark energy, neutrinos, cosmic rays, microwaves, gravity, photons, etc.)

You can add the collective intellect of my in-laws to that list... :grumpy:

higgs field

1. What is empty space or a vacuum?

Empty space or a vacuum refers to a region of space that is completely devoid of matter. It is characterized by the absence of particles, atoms, and molecules, making it an environment with extremely low pressure and density.

2. How is empty space different from air or other gases?

Unlike air or other gases, empty space does not contain any particles or molecules. It is also much less dense, with a pressure close to zero. Air and gases, on the other hand, have a significant amount of particles and can exert pressure on their surroundings.

3. Is empty space truly empty?

While empty space may seem like a complete void, it is not completely empty. According to quantum mechanics, empty space is filled with virtual particles that constantly pop in and out of existence. Additionally, empty space is also thought to contain dark energy and dark matter, which are still not fully understood by scientists.

4. How does the concept of empty space relate to the universe?

The concept of empty space is closely related to our understanding of the universe. It is believed that the universe began as a singularity, a point of infinite density and zero volume. As the universe expanded, empty space was created, allowing for the formation of galaxies and other structures.

5. Can empty space be manipulated or harnessed for practical use?

There is ongoing research and experimentation on how to manipulate and harness the properties of empty space. Some scientists believe that it may be possible to use the energy of virtual particles for various applications, while others are exploring the potential of creating a warp drive using the concept of empty space. However, these ideas are still in the theoretical stages and have not been proven or achieved yet.