How to Calculate the Orbital Period of a Satellite Around Planet Zeta?

• Thread starter EskShift
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radius
In summary: In any case, the student's attempted solution is correct and the answer of 540 days is incorrect. The correct answer is 23 days. In summary, the conversation discusses a satellite being prepared for take-off on the fictitious planet Zeta. The planet has a radius of R and the satellite experiences a gravitational force, F, from the planet at the surface. There is also a single moon, Eta, that completes one orbit of the planet every 50 days at a distance of 5R from the center of the planet. The problem asks to determine the period of the satellite, and the student attempts to solve it using the equation (R^3/T^2)A = (R^3/T^2)B
EskShift
A satellite is being prepared for take-off on the surface of the fictitious planet Zeta. The planet Zeta has a radius of R and the satellite experiences a gravitational force, F, from the planet at the surface. A single moon, Eta, completes one orbit of the planet every 50 days at a distance of 5R from the center of the planet.
The satellite is now placed into orbit 2R from the surface of the planet.

Determine the Period of the satellite.

Homework Equations

Well i assume you use (R^3 / T^2)A = (R ^ 3 / T ^ 2)B

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore
5R ^3 / 50^2 = 3R^2 / T^2
T is what we need, but i seem to always get 540 and am not exactly sure as to how to work it out.
Am i using the wrong equation? or is my working out wrong?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
EskShift said:
A satellite is being prepared for take-off on the surface of the fictitious planet Zeta. The planet Zeta has a radius of R and the satellite experiences a gravitational force, F, from the planet at the surface. A single moon, Eta, completes one orbit of the planet every 50 days at a distance of 5R from the center of the planet.
The satellite is now placed into orbit 2R from the surface of the planet.

Determine the Period of the satellite.

Homework Equations

Well i assume you use (R^3 / T^2)A = (R ^ 3 / T ^ 2)B

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore
5R ^3 / 50^2 = 3R^2 / T^2
T is what we need, but i seem to always get 540 and am not exactly sure as to how to work it out.
Am i using the wrong equation? or is my working out wrong?

thanks.

Welcome to PF.

Don't you need to take the square root of 540?

LowlyPion said:
Welcome to PF.

Don't you need to take the square root of 540?

I thought so too, but that is approximately 23. The answer says 40 days? I still don't understand what I'm doing wrong, and i have an exam tomorrow!

Working backwards from 40 days that suggests an orbital radius of 4.3R from the center doesn't it?

LowlyPion said:
Working backwards from 40 days that suggests an orbital radius of 4.3R from the center doesn't it?

It certainly does, possibly the answer is a miss-type, everyone i have asked have all said they don't understand. but i haven't asked my teacher yet, he might know. but ill be happy if my working is correct at least?

EskShift said:
It certainly does, possibly the answer is a miss-type, everyone i have asked have all said they don't understand. but i haven't asked my teacher yet, he might know. but ill be happy if my working is correct at least?

Perhaps there is a misstatement in the problem?

What is the formula for calculating radius?

The formula for calculating radius is r = d/2, where r is the radius and d is the diameter.

What units are used for measuring radius?

Radius is typically measured in units of length, such as inches, centimeters, or meters.

What is the difference between radius and diameter?

Radius is the distance from the center of a circle to its outer edge, while diameter is the distance across the circle through its center.

Can radius be negative?

No, radius cannot be negative as it is a measure of distance and distance cannot be negative.

How can I use the radius to find the circumference of a circle?

You can use the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius, to find the circumference of a circle using the radius.